Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
From USA Today’s Bob Nightengale comes this intriguing update on the looming sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
Hedge-fund billionaire Steve Cohen emerged Wednesday as the strongest bidder to purchase the Dodgers, and plans to hire Tony La Russa to a key front-office position, according to two Major League Baseball officials familiar with the process but unauthorized to speak publicly.
La Russa has been looking to get back into baseball in a non-managing capacity since retiring from the Cardinals after winning the 2011 World Series. He has turned down a number of cushy job offers, including one from Major League Baseball to fill the executive role that was recently vacated by Joe Torre.
And now we probably know why La Russa is keeping his schedule so wide open.
Cohen, who founded Capital Advisors and is worth $8.3 billion according to Fortune Magazine, reportedly bid $1.6 billion for rights to the Dodgers. There are three other potential ownership groups still in the running, including one headed by Magic Johnson and veteran MLB and NBA executive Stan Kasten.
UPDATE, 10:04 PM: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times is hearing that La Russa would be put in charge of baseball operations with longtime sports agent Arn Tellem serving as team president.
Jul 29, 2015, 1:14 PM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 12:19 PM EDT
At least to the extent you can have a bidding “war” over a two-month rental.
Jul 29, 2015, 11:51 AM EDT
Oh, and the Marlins gave away a draft pick too.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:47 AM EDT
Miami is 42-58.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:30 AM EDT
Two homers, two games in a row and five in his last four games.
Jul 29, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He won’t be closing this time.
Jul 29, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT
Jul 29, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
And why on Earth did Bobby Cox wear a cup for every game? What was he possibly expecting?
Jul 29, 2015, 8:59 AM EDT
Saves = money for relief pitchers and Storen is gonna get a lot fewer saves now.
Jul 29, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT
Reached base five times too.
Jul 29, 2015, 7:28 AM EDT
Your mileage may vary, but for my money the ugliest game of the year happened last night.
Jul 28, 2015, 11:22 PM EDT
Alvarez served as the Marlins’ Opening Day starter …
Jul 28, 2015, 10:05 PM EDT
Red Sox center fielder Mookie Betts tracked down a hardly hit ball from White Sox slugger Jose Abreu on Tuesday night but lost it when he fell into the bullpen …
Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT
Martinez was inducted into the Hall of Fame on Sunday.
Jul 28, 2015, 8:40 PM EDT
Hamels would join Dallas Keuchel and Scott Kazmir in an excellent, postseason-ready Astros rotation.
Jul 28, 2015, 7:47 PM EDT
Angels center fielder Mike Trout went 4-for-4 with two homers and five RBI in Sunday’s series finale against the Rangers, but he also suffered a left wrist injury in that game when he tried to make a diving catch …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:54 PM EDT
In a span of about 10 minutes the Angels landed two outfielders …
Jul 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
This time it’s for both Stanozolol and Boldenone.
Jul 28, 2015, 6:16 PM EDT
Papelbon owns a sparkling 1.59 ERA and 40/8 K/BB ratio in 39 2/3 innings this season for the Phillies, and he’s 17-for-17 in save opportunities.
Jul 28, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
Voters who are more than 10 years removed from covering the game will no longer get to vote in Hall of Fame elections
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 21
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 36
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 51
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 64
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 76
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)