Mar 14, 2012, 10:02 PM EST
From USA Today’s Bob Nightengale comes this intriguing update on the looming sale of the Los Angeles Dodgers:
Hedge-fund billionaire Steve Cohen emerged Wednesday as the strongest bidder to purchase the Dodgers, and plans to hire Tony La Russa to a key front-office position, according to two Major League Baseball officials familiar with the process but unauthorized to speak publicly.
La Russa has been looking to get back into baseball in a non-managing capacity since retiring from the Cardinals after winning the 2011 World Series. He has turned down a number of cushy job offers, including one from Major League Baseball to fill the executive role that was recently vacated by Joe Torre.
And now we probably know why La Russa is keeping his schedule so wide open.
Cohen, who founded Capital Advisors and is worth $8.3 billion according to Fortune Magazine, reportedly bid $1.6 billion for rights to the Dodgers. There are three other potential ownership groups still in the running, including one headed by Magic Johnson and veteran MLB and NBA executive Stan Kasten.
UPDATE, 10:04 PM: Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times is hearing that La Russa would be put in charge of baseball operations with longtime sports agent Arn Tellem serving as team president.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:31 AM EST
See, now that’s good sportsmanship in 2015!
Mar 6, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
The pitchers are starting to drop. Here’s hoping we don’t get a rash of these like we did last year.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Barry Zito took the mound Thursday for his first game action since 2013.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Reconnecting with old friends is always nice.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:15 AM EST
Campana signed a minor-league deal with the White Sox in November.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:34 AM EST
Please make a note of it in whatever log or journal you happen to be keeping.
Mar 6, 2015, 8:45 AM EST
Votto explains his approach to one of his biggest detractors.
Mar 6, 2015, 8:08 AM EST
The two-time Tommy John veteran reunites with the Braves.
Mar 6, 2015, 6:41 AM EST
Barry Bonds’ Instagram page is the gift that keeps on giving.
Mar 5, 2015, 11:01 PM EST
Nationals outfielder Bryce Harper is understandably confident about his team’s chances, but Zack Wheeler thinks the Mets can make things interesting.
Mar 5, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Richards is scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday for the first time since knee surgery.
Mar 5, 2015, 8:29 PM EST
It was his first game action since last July 31.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:33 PM EST
Yahoo Sports’ Jeff Passan hears that Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have UCL damage in his elbow, but Olivera’s camp has strongly denied the report.
Mar 5, 2015, 7:07 PM EST
The Giants will likely be without Pence for the first month of the season.
Mar 5, 2015, 6:13 PM EST
He would then return to Korea, where the 28-year-old was a former MVP.
Mar 5, 2015, 5:20 PM EST
Tony Clark adds that the leaks “are cowardly, undermine the integrity of our collectively bargained agreements and in some instances have been wholly inaccurate.”
Mar 5, 2015, 5:12 PM EST
He was bigger a few years ago, but he’s still a pretty big deal.
Mar 5, 2015, 4:46 PM EST
He may be a nice man, but no one likes to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:45 PM EST
Darvish spent the final six weeks of last season on the disabled list.
Mar 5, 2015, 3:25 PM EST
It’s a minor-league deal with major-league money attached.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (376)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)