Ryan Howard cleared for light exercise

Mar 14, 2012, 3:01 PM EDT

ryan howard reuters Reuters

It’s been over two weeks since Ryan Howard underwent a procedure to remove an infection around his surgically repaired left Achilles tendon.  He’s been in a walking boot all that time and has not been doing any kind of workouts. But that’s about to change as he’s been cleared for “light exercise.”

He’s still in the boot, however, do don’t go too crazy yet.  And Howard is reigning-in expectations:

“Right now, I just got cleared to do a little bit of modified stuff, so basically riding a bike, doing a little leg motion-type stuff, trying to do what I can so when I’m actually out of the boot I can hit the ground running. I’m going to try to stay optimistic and see what happens, but like I’ve said before, there’s really no time limit on it. Once it’s 100 percent, we’ll go from there.”

1. drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:06 PM

I agree with Rollins, he is going to miss the season….or at least a vast majority of it.

• paperlions - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Did Rollins really say that?

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:20 PM

He doesn’t say that exactly but pretty damn close. The David Murphy piece here also links the original Jayson Stark story.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Okay, lets try this again. My comments don’t seem to be posting. They will probably all come at once making me look more foolish then typical. Anyway, he didn’t say exactly that but pretty damn close. Here is the link to the David Murphy story. He got the quotes from a Jayson Stark piece which he links in his article.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:35 PM

• cleverbob - Mar 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

drmonkeyarmy sure looks foolish right about now…

• ame123 - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Because you and JRoll know a whole lot more about him than the Phillies people and Howard himself.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

When have the Phillies people said he was going to be back? They haven’t said a word about it. It has been a constant no timetable. So, what was your point again?

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:28 PM

The Phillies people don’t really know what is going hence the no timetable stuff. It is pure speculation on my part. I never claimed to have inside knowledge or am speaking as an unequivocal fact.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:34 PM

It is just speculation on my part. The Phillies don’t have a time table on his return either. So, who knows really? Just a gut instinct on my part. Big guys generally take quite some time to heal from a full Achilles tear.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

He doesn’t say exactly that but pretty damn close. The David Murphy piece I linked above links the original Jayson Stark story…so you can read that too.

3. drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:31 PM

Why are my comments not posting? It is really frustrating.

4. philsbirdsflyers - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:44 PM

As someone who sells medications for infectious disease, some infections by nature take up to a month to heal…hence the boot. Meanwhile, his actual tendon strengthens each day with additional rest. I read Rollins’ quote, but he’s simply incorrect. Howard plans to “pick up where I left off” once he’s out of the boot, and that is the most important statement in terms of how big of a “set back” the infection was.

• drmonkeyarmy - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:49 PM

I don’t know, think about it…the most optimistic of time frames had him missing the first two months of the season before the infection. A month for it to heal the heel and we are talking about missing the first half of the season as the best case. I’m pessimistic that a torn Achilles on such a big man will be in decent enough shape for him to be ready and effective before August at the earliest.

5. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:47 PM

“I wish Howard the best in recovering quickly, but I ain’t gonna lie. I wanna see Jim Thome play a lot of first base and see what happens.”

Trying to even up the defense of first base between Philly and Atlanta huh? Ohhh wait. Freeman at a -12.6 UZR is going to even be tough for Thome to catch. Wait did I say that right? Nope. Let me see…
    Freeman at a -12.6 UZR is going to even be tough for Thome to regress to. That’s better. ;)

• El Bravo - Mar 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM

In the immortal words of YankeesFanLen, “LEAVE FREDDY FREEZY ALONE!!!!”

6. phillyphever - Mar 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM

I always thought he miss the 2012 season. There’s no way a guy that big can be healed from major Achilles surgery this fast. It’s basically impossible.

7. paperlions - Mar 14, 2012 at 4:38 PM

I’ve known 2 people that tore their achilles, each took more year of rehab to get back to what they called “normal”, but 1) they were both older than Howard, 2) didn’t have access to the quality of PT he’s getting, and 3) did not have to rehab back to pro athlete standards. The first two should heavily favor Howard; the last one set the bar of his rehab much higher. I wouldn’t expect a 100% version of Howard until spring 2013.

8. dirtyharry1971 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:31 AM

id love to see howard put on another 50lbs this year

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3624)