Mar 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Bad news in Royals camp: Catcher Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
Perez was hurt while warming up the starting pitcher prior to yesterday’s game against the Reds. There’s no word on how long he’ll be out, though it’s not unreasonable to think that it will be several weeks after the surgery before he can work out. Figure a good chunk of his season will be lost.
Perez is only 21, but he hit .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances last season. Last month he signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension, suggesting that the Royals are very optimistic about his future.
Bad break. Well, tear. You know what I mean.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 48
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)