Mar 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Bad news in Royals camp: Catcher Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
Perez was hurt while warming up the starting pitcher prior to yesterday’s game against the Reds. There’s no word on how long he’ll be out, though it’s not unreasonable to think that it will be several weeks after the surgery before he can work out. Figure a good chunk of his season will be lost.
Perez is only 21, but he hit .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances last season. Last month he signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension, suggesting that the Royals are very optimistic about his future.
Bad break. Well, tear. You know what I mean.
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 0
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 28
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 2
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 12
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 143
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)