Mar 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Bad news in Royals camp: Catcher Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
Perez was hurt while warming up the starting pitcher prior to yesterday’s game against the Reds. There’s no word on how long he’ll be out, though it’s not unreasonable to think that it will be several weeks after the surgery before he can work out. Figure a good chunk of his season will be lost.
Perez is only 21, but he hit .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances last season. Last month he signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension, suggesting that the Royals are very optimistic about his future.
Bad break. Well, tear. You know what I mean.
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 12
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 58
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)