Mar 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EST
Bad news in Royals camp: Catcher Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
Perez was hurt while warming up the starting pitcher prior to yesterday’s game against the Reds. There’s no word on how long he’ll be out, though it’s not unreasonable to think that it will be several weeks after the surgery before he can work out. Figure a good chunk of his season will be lost.
Perez is only 21, but he hit .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances last season. Last month he signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension, suggesting that the Royals are very optimistic about his future.
Bad break. Well, tear. You know what I mean.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 290
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (314)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)