Mar 14, 2012, 3:30 PM EDT
Bad news in Royals camp: Catcher Salvador Perez was diagnosed with a left lateral meniscus tear and will require surgery.
Perez was hurt while warming up the starting pitcher prior to yesterday’s game against the Reds. There’s no word on how long he’ll be out, though it’s not unreasonable to think that it will be several weeks after the surgery before he can work out. Figure a good chunk of his season will be lost.
Perez is only 21, but he hit .331/.361/.473 with three homers, 21 RBI and an .834 OPS over 158 plate appearances last season. Last month he signed a five-year, $7 million contract extension, suggesting that the Royals are very optimistic about his future.
Bad break. Well, tear. You know what I mean.
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 12
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 75
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- 2015 Preview: Cleveland Indians 10
- Dodgers sign Cuban star Hector Olivera for $62.5 million 55
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (99)
- Joe West ejects A.J. Pierzynski by calmly telling the Braves’ dugout “you need a new catcher.” (97)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)