The Dodgers bidders are down to four

Mar 14, 2012, 8:51 AM EDT

dodgers logo

Major League Baseball keeps weeding out bidders for the Dodgers and now we are down to four, reports the L.A. Times:

• The Stan Kasten-Magic Johnson group;
  • Hedge fund billionaire Steven Cohen;
  • St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke; and
  • Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley and a financier named Tony Ressler, who is also a minority investor in the Milwaukee Brewers.

True fact: Steven Cohen’s real first name on his birth certificate is “Hedge Fund billionaire.” His parents truly believed in destiny, and in his case it worked.

Anyway, all of these bids have been reported to be seriously moneyed (i.e. not overly-leveraged like Frank McCourt), with some of them having close to a billion dollars in cash alone, with overall bids ranging between $1.3 and $1.6 billion, which would make the Dodgers the largest sports franchise sale in history.

Imagine what they’d be worth if Frank McCourt hadn’t chopped them into little pieces and drove the brand into the ground.

1. koufaxmitzvah - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:27 AM

I am rooting for the Magic team. The Lakers may have come from Milwaukee, and Magic from Michigan St, but he’s all Showtime and in upper echelon of the best of the best in LA Sports.

That said, any group that wins this bidding and doesn’t get the frigging parking lots from that POS McCorksucker isn’t going to end the bad feelings and boycott of Dodgersville.

The Bud Selig era deserves its legacy of scruitny by messing up this sport and especially in this town. The commissioner never should have been a former owner. I don’t think Bart Giamatti or Faye Vincent would have let this scoundrel buy the club let alone break his purchase into separate entities.

Fork you, Bud! Shame!

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Oops. Not Milwaukee. Minnesota. Lew Alcindor came from Milwaukee.

Bad Koufaxmitzvah…. Shame…..

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Off topic question/comment Sandy: Over the last few weeks when I attempt to log on to read and comment on a particlar article it states “error accessing dashboard.”
        Any ideas as to what the hell this means?

• koufaxmitzvah - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

I think the Dashboard is attributed to your account with WordPress. When I signed up to comment on HBT, I also signed up for blog abilities, which is why my moniker is in green (it’s a link).

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’m rooting for Steven Cohen. He seems remarkably humble for being the 35th richest man in America, is an art collector, hates having his name in the papers; I think he might be what the Dodgers need to make it through the next few tough years.

If, as I’ve heard to expect multiple times, Stan Kroenke wins the bidding, Mr. Cohen is more than welcome to buy another National League team with ownership issues, if there are any of those.

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Aren’t all facts true?

4. schlom - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:48 PM

They should make the Padres the “prize” for coming in 2nd.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3297)