Mar 14, 2012, 8:51 AM EST
Major League Baseball keeps weeding out bidders for the Dodgers and now we are down to four, reports the L.A. Times:
- The Stan Kasten-Magic Johnson group;
- Hedge fund billionaire Steven Cohen;
- St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke; and
- Memphis Grizzlies owner Michael Heisley and a financier named Tony Ressler, who is also a minority investor in the Milwaukee Brewers.
True fact: Steven Cohen’s real first name on his birth certificate is “Hedge Fund billionaire.” His parents truly believed in destiny, and in his case it worked.
Anyway, all of these bids have been reported to be seriously moneyed (i.e. not overly-leveraged like Frank McCourt), with some of them having close to a billion dollars in cash alone, with overall bids ranging between $1.3 and $1.6 billion, which would make the Dodgers the largest sports franchise sale in history.
Imagine what they’d be worth if Frank McCourt hadn’t chopped them into little pieces and drove the brand into the ground.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)