What in the hell is Terry Collins talking about?

Mar 14, 2012, 10:30 AM EST

Terry Collins AP

After getting really frustrated at all of the Mets injuries yesterday, Terry Collins walked it back. He made it clear that he was not mad at Ruben Tejada or his groin, and that he doesn’t blame players or the Mets trainers or anything for their injuries. He blames fate and bad luck and all of that.

Fair enough. We all ask the “why do bad things happen to us” question from time to time. And then we reflect quietly about it all, regroup and then go back about our business.

Terry Collins does that in his own way: by getting beat up by his wife and alluding to man vs. bear wrestling:

“I talk about patience,” the manager said. “Right now, I’m out of it . So I’ve got to regain it. I’ve got to go back tonight and have my wife beat me up so I can find my patience again.

“I had a buddy that used to have a bear — a pet bear. He used to, when he got mad, the bear would go kick him around the cage. And he finally said, ‘OK, I’m back down to earth now.’ ”

Tale as old as time, really.

1. notthesicko - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

That sounds like a Karl Pilkington quote.

• garythebat - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

You, sir, are brilliant. I thought he was going to talk about thumping a monkey next. http://youtu.be/IMph1o6T29c

• SmackSaw - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:34 AM

An Idiot Manages

2. racksie - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Well with Booby V and Terry Collins, this is shaping up to be a very entertaining spring. Can’t wait for the real games to start so we can, you know, enjoy the baseball. Until then, these two wack jobs and Ozzie will have to do.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:32 PM

I may be biased as a Sox fan, but I don’t put Valentine in the same category as those two. He may be verbose and a showboat, but he’s not unhinged.

• yankeesgameday - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Give it until June then see what you think.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I know…I kept thinking, “I’m going to end up eating those words” even as I typed them.

3. bsbiz - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:39 AM

It appears that Terry Collins’ WTF-o-meter is in The Best Shape Of Its Life.

4. eric174 - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:40 AM

Nice attention grabbing headline.
    I guess the fact that nothing he said matters..at all..is irrelevant.

But that’s our media culture these days.

5. kranepool - Mar 14, 2012 at 10:51 AM

it easy to joke about Collins but put your self in his spot. His team is destined to finish last and is disrespected due to much of the off the field B.S. that have resulted in stacks of tickets sitting in the Mets ticket office collecting dust and he knows his team has to get off to a fast start.

The Mets suck at defense and fundamentals and when guys are sitting in the trainers room it makes it difficult to work on those things

6. Spiro Agnew - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:08 AM

LSD

7. jerseypatriot76 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Imagine what he will say after six months of watching this team fall to pieces on the field. I believe his contract ends this season, and the Mets may want him back, but he may choose to be permanently beaten by his wife before going back to lead this gang of misfits.

8. tsi431 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I wonder if Terry Collins’ friend is Tony Bernazard or Wally Backman. My money is on Backman, but he could kick a bears @$$ any day.

• Alex K - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:24 AM

If it is Bernazard- Did he take his shirt off when he challenged the bear to a fight?

9. Alex K - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I love the idea that Terry Collins is mad as Ruben Tejada’s groin. I want to go back to that world.

Potty humor FTW!

10. rooney24 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:31 AM

He sounds like he needs to be either drug tested or seen by a professional. Is he really that odd, or just trying to act bizarre to get fired?

Will he now get ripped for making light of domestic abuse and have to apologize again?

11. Jonny 5 - Mar 14, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Just wait until Wright gets traded. Then His Wife will be screaming “Bring out the Gimp!”.

12. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I think what Terry is really saying is “I will be a crazy douchebag until I’m fired away from my horrible bosses.”

13. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:20 PM

Tim Johnson is the only manager I can think of who’s been fired before opening day in my lifetime.
    Hoping Collins joins that list. And since we’re hoping, then Alderson, then the Wilpons, then Selig, then the ownership in Miami, then Mike Lupica, then ESPN should re-hire Joe Morgan and fire him again.

• WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:53 PM

These actions add up to too much math in baseball for Joe Morgan. He would be vurry displeased.

• phukyouk - Mar 14, 2012 at 1:54 PM

“then ESPN should re-hire Joe Morgan and fire him again.”
      TWICE!

14. Gamera the Brave - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Craig, way to slip in the “Beauty and the Beast” reference, too…
    You’re not the only one getting stuck watching movies with your kids.

15. phukyouk - Mar 14, 2012 at 3:36 PM

“What in the hell is Terry Collins talking about?”
    The world may never know

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4987)
  2. M. Kemp (3503)
  3. J. Kang (2693)
  4. J. Upton (2629)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2623)
  1. C. McGehee (2603)