Mar 15, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Anibal Sanchez was sidelined by shoulder problems early in camp, but made his spring training debut yesterday and said afterward that he felt fine.
Sanchez’s history of shoulder problems, including surgery as a minor leaguer, make any issues in that area a bigger concern than usual, but he tossed two scoreless innings against the Rays and racked up four strikeouts.
“I knew this was nothing bad at all,” Sanchez told Evan Drellich of MLB.com. “I knew that I need to take a break, a few days off. It’s no big deal and everybody knew that. I don’t want to rush. It’s early.”
He’s scheduled start again Monday against the Astros, so barring a setback he’ll have 3-4 more spring starts and plenty of time to build up his arm strength and pitch count for the regular season. Sanchez threw 196 innings with a 3.67 ERA and 202 strikeouts last season, so his health is an overlooked key for the new-look Marlins.
And as an impending free agent Sanchez also has plenty riding on his health this season.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)