Chien-Ming Wang leaves start with strained hamstring

Mar 15, 2012, 2:48 PM EST

Chien-Ming Wang Getty Images

Poor Chien-Ming Wang.

After missing most of the past two seasons following shoulder surgery the 31-year-old right-hander was finally healthy and actually drawing positive reviews for his velocity and stuff early in Nationals camp.

And then he fell while trying to make a play defensively in the third inning of today’s start. Initially reports sounded pretty bad, but the Nationals announced that he’s been diagnosed with a strained hamstring.

That could keep Wang from being ready for Opening Day, but at least it’s not another major setback for a guy who hasn’t been healthy and effective since 2007. He’s slated to be the Nationals’ fifth starter after re-signing for $4 million and the injury could further convince general manager Mike Rizzo to hang onto John Lannan.

1. Graves - Mar 15, 2012 at 2:56 PM

This is why pitchers shouldn’t play defense.

It’s unnatural.

2. phukyouk - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:03 PM

this guy cannot catch a fucking break. I feel for him, i really really do. he was one of my favorite pitchers to watch while on the Yanks. I hope he gets better fast!

3. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Mar 15, 2012 at 3:46 PM

I think we can formally add him to the Nick Johnson Hall of Health.

• phukyouk - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:00 PM

sad but true…but when healthy i think hes a lot more valuable than Nick “I come out to Miley Cyrus music” Johnson

4. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:26 PM

I watched (still watching) the game live on MLB. The fall looked liked he was incredibly uncoordinated. Really struck me as odd that a professional athlete could be so “out of control”

Hope he’s ok. Had the sinker working until then.

• natstowngreg - Mar 15, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Pitchers = athletes? *chuckles*

But seriously, this is unfortunate. At the end of last season, it seemed that while Wang wasn’t back to his level with the Yankees, he could be a useful bottom-of-the-rotation starter.

5. jimbo1949 - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I was watching this game. Russell Nathan Jeanson Coltrane Martin, Jr had to dive over him when Wang went flying over the bag. Could’ve been a lot worse.

6. surefooted1 - Mar 15, 2012 at 5:07 PM

I was watching this game and felt so bad for him. I thought, “damn, again…”

Hope he recovers quickly.

7. protius - Mar 16, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Please keep him far, far away from gum.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester