Giants, Matt Cain not getting anywhere in contract talks

Mar 15, 2012, 9:58 AM EST

Matt Cain

Ken Rosenthal reports that the Giants are not making progress in extension talks with Matt Cain.  Given that he’s already said that he’s not going to talk about an extension once spring training is over, it likely means that he’s gonna hit the market next fall.

Which leads to an interesting question: can Yankees fans’ powers of covetousness handle both Cain and Cole Hamels in one year? Because that’s a lot of He’d Look Good in Pinstripesage. Hope there’s enough to go around.

1. uyf1950 - Mar 15, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I seriously doubt the Yankees will go after both even if they both hit free agency. In fact I’m not sure that the Yankees will go after even one. A lot depends on how well Pineda, Nova and Hughes do this season. Also something to consider is a couple of the “young” arms currently in spring training but who will realistically start the 2012 season in Triple A (Phelps, Banuelos, Betances, Mitchell, Warren, etc…). BTW, Phelps has had a very good spring so far. If one or more of those guys distinguishes himself in Triple A this season I could see the Yankees passing on all of the FA pitchers. And possible using those funds or a prospect or 2 to get a young cost controlled power bat for the outfield via a trade. Just my opinion but we’ll see.

2. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2012 at 10:30 AM

I’m pretty sure the Yankees will go after at least one of them, probably both. Garcia and Kuroda will both need to be replaced. I can see a rotation of CC, Pineda, Hamels, Cain and Nova. Hughes in the pen or traded. The killer B’s in the pen for 2013.

• uyf1950 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM

My friend, I don’t think the Yankees send Hughes to the pen in 2013. The only way I can see that happening if he struggles as a starter then the Yankees could use him to be the closer as he did prove to be very, very effective as the set up man in 2009. But other then as the closer I don’t see him going into the bullpen, he’s going to be making about $5MM minimum in 2013 (his last arbitration year). That’s a little to much money for the Yankees to allocate for someone to come out of the pen as anything other then the closer.

• uyf1950 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Randy, btw did you notice as I type this my original comment got 1 thumbs down and I said the Yankees probably wouldn’t go after Hamels or Cain. Your comment got 1 thumbs down and you said they might or would go after both Hamels and Cain.

Either that one person that gave us both thumbs downs is very confused or he/she just thumbs down Yankees fan comments.

3. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Of course, it depends on which Hughes shows up this year. If he’s lights out, maybe they go after only 1 free agent. If he duplicates last year, he’ll likely be traded or if untradable, the pen.

I access hbt through the iPad app. (quicker to load). The thumbs-up/down feature doesn’t exist there. Nor the results. Couldn’t care less about what people think, anyways. It wouldn’t influence what I would/wouldn’t post.

4. paperlions - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:55 PM

I want to get in on this:

Boy, Cain would look nice wearing the birds on a bat.

• stex52 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Zito is done after 2013. I should think that the Giants could try to open up the vault if Cain would backload for just one year.

But, if not, I go Cards. I know the Astros won’t be springing for anyone like that anytime soon.

5. only1stantheman - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Yes, I believe he would look GREAT in the birds on the bat…

6. Chris K - Mar 15, 2012 at 4:40 PM