Halladay brushes off questions about his health, velocity

Mar 15, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT

Phillies Tigers Spring Baseball

Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com spoke with Roy Halladay about the report of his diminished velocity and the speculation that maybe he has a physical problem.  Halladay ain’t having it. First on the idea of any health problems:

“Yeah, I heard about that … Poor reporting on the extreme end of poor reporting. It couldn’t be further from the truth.”

To be fair to Ken Rosenthal, who wrote the article to which Halladay refers, he wasn’t reporting that Halladay had health problems. He quoted a scout who speculated it.  Whatever the case, however, you take the player’s word for it unless and until the information at hand contradicts it. Halladay’s health is fine.

As for the velocity, Halladay blames age:

“Yeah, I’m 34 and 2,500 innings. It does take a while to get going. I don’t pay attention to that. The older you get, the more you throw, the longer it takes you to get yourself going … It’s not unusual. When you get older, it takes you longer. The more innings you throw the more it takes to get yourself going again.”

I have a very strong feeling that this will be forgotten about — and laughed about if it is remembered — come the end of the month.  But given the injuries to Howard and Utley, the rotation, once again, has to be stellar. So it’s not totally unreasonable to get mildly freaked about Halladay at the moment.  As long as it stays mild.

1. Mark - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:39 PM

While Halladay leads the majors in innings over the past 3 years, he’s 7th in the number of pitches thrown. So the number of innings thrown is kind of deceptive because he’s so efficient.

For instance, Felix Hernandez threw 542 more pitches than Doc, but Halladay only threw 1 1/3 innings more than Felix.

Like you said though the story will probably be forgotten by the time April rolls around.

2. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:43 PM

That’s how it works. The older you get, the faster performance declines. Some defy age (Ryan). Sometimes, it can even happen to 34 year old aces. I wouldn’t expect him to say anything different, even if it was true that the tanks empty. We’ll see over the next few weeks.

3. El Bravo - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Dead arm. He’s done. Trade him to the Braves.

4. Jonny 5 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:09 PM

He’s cooked, totally f—- Owww, What the hell…. A baseball just busted through my office window and smacked me in the ribs!!! WTH?!? Sorry, I take it back Roy.

5. professor59 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Reminds of the ESPN commercial where the reporters were in a conference room speculating on whether Clemens had lost something off his fastball. Clemens picks up one the reporters and throws him out the window. Another guy stands up with a radar gun and says, “96. Looks OK to me.”

Love the ESPN commercials!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet