Scott Baker’s elbow again has the Twins worried

Mar 15, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Scott Baker

Last season Scott Baker made just four starts in the second half, including zero after August 8, spending two stints on the disabled list because of elbow problems that once again have the Twins worried this spring.

Joe Christensen of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that Baker’s “inability to get loose in a B game against Pittsburgh last Saturday raised some red flags” and then his fastball was clocked in the mid-80s while giving up six runs in 1.1 innings.

His next start hasn’t been scheduled yet because pitching coach Rick Anderson wants to see him get through a bullpen session without any issues first, and according to Christensen “this is an issue the Twins will monitor daily.” When healthy Baker was the Twins’ best starter last season, throwing 134 innings with a career-best 3.14 ERA and fantastic 123/32 K/BB ratio.

1. Jeremiah Graves - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:11 AM

*sigh*

…well, shit.

2. Kanonen80 - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Is Sidney Ponson still available?

3. tompeppermint - Mar 15, 2012 at 11:34 AM
  4. randygnyc - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:01 PM

This doesn’t sound good. If he’s gonna get cut open now, it’ll have effected 3 seasons (last, this and next)

• aarontzach - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:35 PM

I know, right! Can the Twins please fire SOMEBODY on their medical staff, just to at least make me feel better.

• drewsylvania - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:48 PM

As long as they don’t hire anyone who worked for the Red Sox…

5. JB (the original) - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Better start stretching out Duensing again……

• rooney24 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:38 PM

I would actually rather see Swarzak get a shot. Duensing had a shot as a starter and was underwhelming. See if going back to the pen will make Duensing good again and give Swarzak a shot. He has pitched fairly well in his spot starts that he has made.

6. aarontzach - Mar 15, 2012 at 12:33 PM

My lofty dreams of the Twins finishing in 3rd place in that crappy AL Central are fading fast. Oh well, maybe I can get some super cheap tickets to Target Field this year….

• trevorb06 - Mar 15, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I have a feeling I’ll be watching a lot of Twin’s games this year from some really nice seats I usually couldn’t afford. :-)

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet