Mar 16, 2012, 11:51 AM EST
I did feel that it was going to be a good fit for me. We talked a little bit, and they had interest. They were trying to get something done first with David [Ortiz]. At the end of the day, I wasn’t going to wait until they got that done.
In terms of timelines, Beltran signed his two-year, $26 million deal with the Cardinals on December 23. Ortiz accepted the Red Sox’s arbitration tender on December 7, but didn’t sign his one-year, $14.575 million deal to avoid arbitration until February 13.
And as MacPherson writes, odds are the Red Sox wouldn’t have had room in their budget for Beltran at the money (and years) he ended up getting anyway. Instead they ended up trading for Ryan Sweeney as part of the Andrew Bailey swap and then signed Cody Ross to a one-year, $3 million contract.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)