Mar 16, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
The bad news is that manager Davey Johnson said today that he expects Wang to be out of action for “a couple weeks minimum.”
That will make it all but impossible for Wang to begin the season in the Nationals’ rotation, as he won’t have built up the necessary arm strength and pitch count even if he somehow returns to the mound sooner than expected.
By resisting the urge to trade John Lannan the Nationals have a capable fill-in waiting to replace Wang, but he was finally starting to look somewhat like his old self three years after shoulder surgery.
- Boston Marathon heroes remembered with pregame ceremony at Fenway Park 7
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 155
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 4
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 30
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 35
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (159)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)