Mar 16, 2012, 7:41 AM EDT
George Brett was interviewed by Bob McManaman of the Arizona Republic and the topic of PED users and the Hall of Fame came up. Brett says that if he were a voter, he would not put guys like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens on his ballot. Which, fine, there are a lot of people who think that way. But Brett went further:
“I wasn’t a home-run hitter,” Brett said, “but I know from talking to guys in the 500-home run club, guys like Schmitty (Mike Schmidt) and some other guys like that, if those guys make it in then they’ll never go back.”
“Meaning those guys will never go back and attend (the Hall of Fame inductions) if the cheaters get elected.”
Really? Mike Schmidt would boytcott? The same Mike Schmidt who said that if A-Rod — who Brett specifically criticized by name — were to be elected, he’d “welcome him”? The same Schmidt who is on record saying that if PEDs were prevalent during his time he probably would have used them too? He’d boycott? Color me skeptical.
Also color me skeptical about this statement from Brett:
Brett doesn’t believe Alex Rodriguez, who was caught using steroids, should get into the Hall of Fame, either. Maybe if A-Rod would have come clean in the beginning, or tried to make amends like pitcher Andy Pettitte and slugger Jason Giambi did, Brett could see it.
Someone please explain to me how Pettitte or Giambi came clean in ways that Alex Rodriguez didn’t. Because my recollection of it all was that all three of them admitted to doing something only after they were caught. The biggest difference from what I can tell is that A-Rod was not very well-liked beforehand while Pettitte and Giambi were.
Anyway, the same old story here: subjective baloney about PEDs with some people being treated very differently for reasons that make little sense.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 33
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 18
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)