Mar 16, 2012, 10:15 AM EST
Giancarlo Stanton is sidelined by a knee injury now in addition to his sore wrist, and Manny Navarro of the Miami Herald reports that he “will be out at least for another week” after being diagnosed with inflammation.
Stanton underwent an MRI exam yesterday and the Marlins are saying the injury isn’t major, but Stanton expressed some concern about not having enough at-bats to get ready for Opening Day and may end up squeezing in some extra game action on the minor-league side of camp.
It’s also worth noting that Stanton was unsure how or when he injured the knee, whereas his wrist injury came from being plunked by a pitch over the weekend and is apparently no longer an issue (at least compared to the knee).
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 19
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 62
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 37
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)