Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes are bonding

Mar 16, 2012, 2:01 PM EST

Marlins Miami new logo

When Jose Reyes was signed by the Marlins, there were indications that Hanley Ramirez — the man who was displaced from shortstop — was sulking about it.

But apparently things are all better now. Joe Capozzi reports:

Most days after spring training workouts end, the baseball competition continues for Hanley Ramirez and Jose Reyes.

The $25 million left side of the Marlins’ infield will go to one of their apartments, sit down in front of a television and turn on PlayStation.

“The machine doesn’t allow us to play the same team, so I play with Boston, he plays with the Phillies,’ Reyes said Thursday after the Marlins’ 3-1 win over the New York Mets.

Not that this means anything. My children play Wii together and every other game ends with fights and allegations of cheating. ┬áSo pardon me if I don’t believe that everything is rosy on the left side of the Marlins infield just yet.

1. aceshigh11 - Mar 16, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Here’s a typical bonding session:

Hanley: “Man, can you believe these ugly-ass clown uniforms they got us wearin’?”

Jose: “Word.”

2. bearsstillsuck - Mar 16, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’m really glad I took the time to read this.

3. nategearhart - Mar 16, 2012 at 2:34 PM

“Turn on playstation” is a really weird way to say that.

4. seanmk - Mar 16, 2012 at 3:07 PM

this sort of has a reverse A-rod jeter feel. the incumbent guy moved to third when he was clearly the worse SS, instead of staying on the position

5. thelucasjj - Mar 16, 2012 at 3:21 PM

“My children play Wii together and every other game ends with fights and allegations of cheating.”

Truth be told this should probably read ” When I play Wii with my children every other game ends with me fighting and allegations of them cheating.”

6. Old Gator - Mar 16, 2012 at 3:27 PM

As long as they can cover their positions, get on base and drive in runs, I don’t give a capybara’s patootie what games they play at home.

• proudlycanadian - Mar 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Aw shucks! Another bromance in baseball. Kind of reminds me of the Fielder-Cabrera thing in Detroit.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Si.

7. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 16, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Craig, most of your articles are well-written and informative, but I can’t help but feel like you missed out on a fundamentally important question – is the bond covalent or ionic?

• El Bravo - Mar 16, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Damn, that just charged my particles.

• cur68 - Mar 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Could be a hybridization of metallic bonds called “linearization” as postulated by Barzydlo in string theory (hence, covalent, I think). However, I think what we have here, rather than a bond, is more likely just Van der Waals forces in play. Good enough for Waterboatmen, good enough for Feesh, eh?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2012 at 1:21 AM

Ah, you’re the one to ask, Cur. Why the hell doesn’t Bernoulli’s Principle apply to traffic?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Cur! You’re the one I wanted to ask! Why doesn’t Bernoulli’s Principle apply to heavy traffic?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Cur – you’re just the one I wanted to ask about this. Why the hell doesn’t Bernoulli’s Principle apply to heavy traffic? Ey? Well?

• cur68 - Mar 17, 2012 at 1:12 PM

‘Cause Bernoulli’s Swiss. They plan their world to work just so, look for natural laws that agree with that, then are confounded when human affairs don’t agree with that.

8. meteor32 - Mar 16, 2012 at 4:21 PM

How long before they go all the way and help one another move and then start driving each other to the airport?

• Old Gator - Mar 17, 2012 at 12:29 PM

They’re not Petersen and Kekich by a long shot – the Hanster only swapped him his position – but it’s still nice to read stories that are warm and…eh…fuzzy, isn’t it?

9. JB (the original) - Mar 16, 2012 at 4:43 PM

One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight.
    Sclemeel, schlemazel, hanleyreyes incorporated.
    We’re gonna do it!

Give us any chance, we’ll take it.
    Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
    We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
    Doin’ it our way.

Nothin’s gonna turn us back now,
    Straight ahead and on the track now.
    We’re gonna make our dreams come true,
    Doin’ it our way.

There is nothing we won’t try,
    Never heard the word impossible.
    This time there’s no stopping us.
    We’re gonna do it.

On your mark, get set, and go now,
    Got a dream and we just know now,
    We’re gonna make our dream come true.
    And we’ll do it our way, yes our way.
    Make all our dreams come true,
    And do it our way, yes our way,
    Make all our dreams come true
    For me and you.

• Old Gator - Mar 16, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Where is Smokey Robinson when you really need him?

10. astrosfan75956 - Mar 17, 2012 at 8:01 PM

I bet they eat tacos, snort cocaine and smash Cuban chicks together too.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5672)