Jack Curry takes to Twitter to shame ESPN

Mar 16, 2012, 6:51 PM EST

YES Network

Jack Curry, formerly of the New York Times and currently of YES, broke the Andy Pettitte story. And apparently he wants everyone to know it. Just check out his Twitter timeline.

source:

That’s only about half of his retweets. And Curry is right to point out how terrible ESPN is about acknowledging the scoops of others. They deserve to be called out for it again and again.

But this is still pretty lame. Curry was a legitimate reporter for a long time, and I’m sure he goes about his job as though he still is. But he broke a Yankees story while working for the Yankees Entertainment and Sports Network. That’s at least as much advertising as it is journalism.

1. redguy12588 - Mar 16, 2012 at 6:53 PM

The poor small market reporters can’t get any recognition for the evil East Coast Biased ESPN.

• protius - Mar 17, 2012 at 2:45 AM

Small market? Yes network serves the New York Metro area, that’s not exactly a small market.

It’s on air 24/7 and reporters have interrupted regular broadcasting with important Yankee news, so it’s not Garfield, Illinois, if you know what I mean.

• pipkin42 - Mar 17, 2012 at 3:42 AM

Oh the ironing.

• coastbreak321 - Mar 17, 2012 at 5:50 AM

Sarcasm- now available in all of your favorite flavors…

• motherscratcher23 - Mar 17, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Yup, it’s like good advice that you just didn’t take.

Who would’ve thought?

2. navel gazing - Mar 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM

And yet all the more reason to be credited for the scoop.

3. Matthew Pouliot - Mar 16, 2012 at 6:54 PM

And boy was I off. He’s actually retweeted about 35 more since I started writing the entry. 12 in just a two-minute span.

Anyone who wants a retweet from a guy with 30,000 followers… here’s your chance. Go @JackCurryYES and complain about ESPN!

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 16, 2012 at 7:00 PM

To be fair, I agree with your stance that what he did wasn’t necessarily “reporting”, but I think the blowback is related to ESPN’s long-standing policy of pretending the only journalists who don’t work in Bristol are the guys on Around the Horn. It’s nice to see someone aggressively calling ESPN out on their crap (aside from Deadspin, they’ve been at this sort of thing for years now).

4. hittfamily - Mar 16, 2012 at 7:22 PM

It is more likely wanting to shame Everytimewe Steal Peoples News than it is wanting the credit for himself. When other people point out your work has been lifted, it is difficult to ignore.

5. steelersredsoxnation - Mar 16, 2012 at 7:26 PM

Hence why ESPN is called the mothership. If he wants to play with the big boys then join the big leagues.

• motherscratcher23 - Mar 17, 2012 at 3:35 PM

A Steelers AND a Red Sox fan?

This is what happens when douche collides.

• steelersredsoxnation - Mar 18, 2012 at 5:23 PM

my dad is from pittsburgh my mom is from boston…go fuck yourself

• motherscratcher23 - Mar 30, 2012 at 2:55 PM

Still a douche

• jlove42 - Mar 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM

The term “Corporate Drone” comes to mind. As does “Hypnotized Masses”. Go figure

6. bigyankeemike - Mar 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

From Olney’s Twitter…

“Wow. Lots of tweets. Looks like @JackCurryYES tweeted Andy Pettitte news first, which doesn’t preclude reality I did my own work.”

Catfight!!!

7. banksatdixie - Mar 16, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Don’t you want credit when you break news? You creating a story about this is more pathetic in my opinion.

8. megary - Mar 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM

I did not realize EverySecondPigskinNetwork reported baseball news. Interesting….lw

9. 4d3fect - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:08 PM

*yawn*

10. Chip Caray's Eyebrows - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

If I had a pseudo-clever false acronym for ESPN, I suppose this is where I’d post it.

11. addictedzone - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:28 PM

Tell him to scoop poop. No one cares where the news comes from, just that we get it.

12. cup0pizza - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Espn blows and is dumbed-down info for idiots like old gator, cur, utleyshair, etc.

13. chill1184 - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:47 AM

I find it to be very amusing watching two Yankee propaganda houses getting into a spat with each other.

• cltjump - Mar 17, 2012 at 12:00 PM

If only Joe Torre was still there to resolve it by asking them to embrace “the human element.”

14. mondogarage - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:58 AM

What’s an espn?

15. steelersredsoxnation - Mar 17, 2012 at 12:55 PM

ESPN sucks more Yankee dong than jeter playing a game of “who’s in my mouth” in the locker room

16. brian32556 - Mar 17, 2012 at 3:26 PM

From Olney’s Twitter…

Eight million people knew it before you Buster. Exactly how hard DID you work that!!?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2782)
  2. W. Myers (2540)
  3. D. Ross (2200)
  4. C. McGehee (2124)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1981)
  1. J. Shields (1881)