Mar 16, 2012, 1:13 PM EST
Shannon Magrane advanced to the final 13 of “American Idol,” but the 16-year-old daughter of former big-league pitcher Joe Magrane was voted off the singing competition last night.
Magrane finished in 11th place and her dad made several appearances on the show, thanks in part to his celebrity and in part to Steven Tyler saying creepy things about his underage daughter.
For some reason this FOXNews.com recap of Magrane’s exit amused me:
Magrane took a fatal misstep when she attempted an ambitious ballad, Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day” on Wednesday night’s two-hour live broadcast.
“Shannon’s at her best when she doesn’t push too hard,” mentor Jimmy Iovine explained after reviewing her performance. “Unfortunately, I think she pushed too hard last night. When she pushes, she shows her weaknesses.”
Ozzie Smith’s son, Nikko Smith, finished ninth in Season 4 of “American Idol,” so amazingly Shannon Magrane isn’t even the highest-placing offspring from the 1987 Cardinals.
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 47
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 78
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 135
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 23
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (135)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)