Mar 16, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
Shannon Magrane advanced to the final 13 of “American Idol,” but the 16-year-old daughter of former big-league pitcher Joe Magrane was voted off the singing competition last night.
Magrane finished in 11th place and her dad made several appearances on the show, thanks in part to his celebrity and in part to Steven Tyler saying creepy things about his underage daughter.
For some reason this FOXNews.com recap of Magrane’s exit amused me:
Magrane took a fatal misstep when she attempted an ambitious ballad, Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men’s “One Sweet Day” on Wednesday night’s two-hour live broadcast.
“Shannon’s at her best when she doesn’t push too hard,” mentor Jimmy Iovine explained after reviewing her performance. “Unfortunately, I think she pushed too hard last night. When she pushes, she shows her weaknesses.”
Ozzie Smith’s son, Nikko Smith, finished ninth in Season 4 of “American Idol,” so amazingly Shannon Magrane isn’t even the highest-placing offspring from the 1987 Cardinals.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (115)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)