Mar 16, 2012, 5:58 PM EDT
Johan Santana thinks there’s no reason for concern after he gave up five runs — four earned — in 2 2/3 innings Friday in a loss to the Tigers.
I was able to throw some fastballs with more intensity this time. And I’m feeling good. It’s a process. And I’m building up.
I feel fine. It was a tough day. It was a challenge out there. These guys were swinging. I tried to locate some pitches that I wasn’t able to. But that’s what we’re here for. … I wasn’t consistent throwing my fastball for strikes. That’s something you work on.
Santana, who is coming off shoulder surgery, showed his best velocity of the spring, hitting 90 and 91 mph on the gun more frequently than he had in his previous two starts. That didn’t lead to any strikeouts today, but it’s still a good sign. He’s still penciled in for Opening Day.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17