Mar 16, 2012, 7:32 PM EST
It wasn’t all that glamorous and we have no video or photo evidence to share, but Kendrys Morales returned to game action this afternoon for the first time since infamously shattering his lower left leg while jumping onto home plate following a game-winning grand slam on May 29, 2010.
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, Morales had five at-bats shuffling between Double-A and Triple-A exhibition games. He had two singles, leaving for pinch-runners each time, and also fouled out, flied out and struck out.
That he got two hits is nice to hear, but the most important part is that he made it through his first game action without any pain in his surgically-repaired ankle.
“No pain,” he said through translator Orlando Mercado. “I just need to be more comfortable.”
Angels manager Mike Scioscia said earlier today that Morales needs 40 to 50 at-bats in order to be ready for Opening Day. He already has five out of the way, but it’s not clear when he’ll make his way over to the major league side.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 50
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 21
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)