Mar 16, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
So much for Salvador Perez only missing a few weeks.
Perez underwent his scheduled knee surgery today and the Royals announced afterward that he’s expected to be out for 12-14 weeks, which would mean a mid-June return at the earliest.
In other words, there’s a strong chance the 21-year-old catcher will miss the entire first half of the season, which is an awfully tough break so soon after signing a long-term contract extension that could potentially keep him in Kansas City through 2019.
For now Brayan Pena will move atop the catching depth chart, but Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star speculated this morning that the Royals could be interested in 40-year-old Ivan Rodriguez as a veteran replacement. And that was before the news of Perez’s longer-than-expected recovery timetable.
Pena has hit just .251 with a .293 on-base percentage and .359 slugging percentage in 267 career games through age 29, but that .652 OPS is actually higher than Rodriguez’s mark in both 2011 (.604) and 2010 (.640). Rodriguez can still shut down a running game with his elite arm strength, whereas Pena has thrown out just 27 percent of steal attempts.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 4
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 9
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 96
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)