Super Great: Dee Gordon catches the Royals napping

Mar 16, 2012, 10:30 AM EDT

This video may disappear soon, so if the YouTube I embed here ceases to work soon, go check it out over at Deadspin and trust that they have figured out a way to keep it up on their site longer.

Anyway, the fun begins at 1:10, when Dee Gordon walks.  And then immediately steals second when Dan Duffy ceases to pay attention to him before returning to the mound to face the next batter:

I suppose someone may consider this an unwritten rules violation of some kind. Seems to me, though, that it’s a way bigger transgression on Duffy’s part in not paying attention to what he’s supposed to be doing.

In other news: Dee Gordon is fast.

1. Bryz - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM

How could someone see this as being an unwritten rule violation? If they’re giving you 2nd base, you take it!

• 18thstreet - Mar 16, 2012 at 1:19 PM

HAVE YOU EVER listened to the moralizers?

Playing the game the right way requires only advancing to second via sacrifice bunts.

2. phukyouk - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Holy Jesus he’s fast. it kind of reminds me of the greatest steal in recent memory when Damon stole second in the WS and then popped up and ran to 3rd cause noone was covering.

• The Baseball Idiot - Mar 16, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Dave Roberts disagrees with that statement.

• paperlions - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Oh ye of short memory: http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=17585257&partnerId=aw-5986056512730050527-996

3. Bar None - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:49 AM

If time wasn’t called, the ball is live. I had a team do this in little league on every walk. I had to teach my pitchers and infielders to pay close attention.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Had a teammate in little league who would turn every walk into at least a triple, maybe a HR. Walk to first, and then about 3 steps away he’d take off sprinting for second. Considering we were all terrible, pitcher would throw the ball into CF, so he’d take third. If the throw to third was overthrown, he’d sprint home.

• Jeremy Fox - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Yeah, had to teach my pitchers to pay attention too. A few times, I actually had the pitcher throw the ball to the first baseman after a walk, so that the walked batter couldn’t suddenly round first and head for second. Of course, he’d just steal second on the next pitch anyway…

4. cmutimmah - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

I’ve taught fast high schoolers to do this in the past. Gotta time it right, right when they step on the rubber. Most lefties drop their head down and look at the ground as they plant that foot, then they extend their leg to get in the ‘ready” position. After about a second they look at the runner then to home. It’s a tendancy thing for most lefties. A lot of times, the first baseman isn’t even looking at the runner at this time because they are still setting up to hold the runner. You get a good jump, and the second baseman would have to out run you to the bag, catch the ball, and tag you while running. With the right speed, this is a very low probability of success with the pitcher rushing (but cautious of the balk), the throw having to be on target to a moving player, the catch being made on the run, and the tag needing to happen almost simultaniously.

I was a chubby first baseman who perfected the art of the delayed steal… I wish I was blessed with the natural speed that some of these guys have. It would have been a LOT of fun.

however, I consider Dee Gordon to be an infielding version of Juan Pierre. OFs are going to move in on him, and most of his hits won’t leave the infield.

That was impressive speed though!

5. badmamainphilliesjamas - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM

The real Flash . . . Dee Gordon + Davey Lopes = watch out!

6. henryd3rd - Mar 16, 2012 at 10:53 AM

He should have held that until the regular season. You can bet you’ll not see that happen again when he walks.

• randomdigits - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:02 AM

It’s a long season, I wouldn’t be surprised to see someone be forgetful.

7. Kevin S. - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:13 AM

Ah, this brings back memories to the only moments of glory I had in Little League.

8. paint771 - Mar 16, 2012 at 11:25 AM

Marco Scutaro did this in a regular season game for Toronto a few seasons ago. Moseyed over, looked around, confused, walked for a bit, then broke into a run and got the bag.

9. hushbrother - Mar 16, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Aren’t they on the same team?

10. CJ - Mar 16, 2012 at 2:15 PM

SEU represent!

11. yaryers - Mar 16, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Ted Williams used to do this. Hasn’t anyone seen Little Big League? Surely it’s factually accurate.

I did this once in Little League with a runner on third. Catchers were always afraid to throw to second with a runner on third. I made it to second, and then I realized there were two outs. If the catcher had realized it, I would have been a dead duck. Good thing Little Leaguers are stupid!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet