Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Carl Crawford is expected to miss the start of the season following a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist, but he did make some progress yesterday.
Crawford was able to take 15 “controlled swings” in the cage with both hands, the first time he’s done so since his setback, after which he told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “felt fine” and had “no pain or anything.”
Crawford admitted that he likely pushed himself too soon following surgery, so Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said they plan to monitor him closely in the coming days in an effort to avoid another setback.
“It’s great to see,’’ Valentine said. “We’re totally controlling it. I’ve had too many meetings on it so far, that’s how many meetings I’ve had. Too many. So we’re going to control it and he gets it. It’s a designed program that he’s going to stick to.”
Crawford also began throwing this week, but it’s not clear when he’ll begin taking live batting practice or whether he’ll play in any Grapefruit League games. As of now, it appears offseason acquisitions Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will start in the corner outfield spots for the first few weeks of the season.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 51
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 49
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11