Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Carl Crawford is expected to miss the start of the season following a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist, but he did make some progress yesterday.
Crawford was able to take 15 “controlled swings” in the cage with both hands, the first time he’s done so since his setback, after which he told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “felt fine” and had “no pain or anything.”
Crawford admitted that he likely pushed himself too soon following surgery, so Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said they plan to monitor him closely in the coming days in an effort to avoid another setback.
“It’s great to see,’’ Valentine said. “We’re totally controlling it. I’ve had too many meetings on it so far, that’s how many meetings I’ve had. Too many. So we’re going to control it and he gets it. It’s a designed program that he’s going to stick to.”
Crawford also began throwing this week, but it’s not clear when he’ll begin taking live batting practice or whether he’ll play in any Grapefruit League games. As of now, it appears offseason acquisitions Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will start in the corner outfield spots for the first few weeks of the season.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)