Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Carl Crawford is expected to miss the start of the season following a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist, but he did make some progress yesterday.
Crawford was able to take 15 “controlled swings” in the cage with both hands, the first time he’s done so since his setback, after which he told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “felt fine” and had “no pain or anything.”
Crawford admitted that he likely pushed himself too soon following surgery, so Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said they plan to monitor him closely in the coming days in an effort to avoid another setback.
“It’s great to see,’’ Valentine said. “We’re totally controlling it. I’ve had too many meetings on it so far, that’s how many meetings I’ve had. Too many. So we’re going to control it and he gets it. It’s a designed program that he’s going to stick to.”
Crawford also began throwing this week, but it’s not clear when he’ll begin taking live batting practice or whether he’ll play in any Grapefruit League games. As of now, it appears offseason acquisitions Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will start in the corner outfield spots for the first few weeks of the season.
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 9
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 105
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 98
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (106)