Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 AM EDT
Carl Crawford is expected to miss the start of the season following a setback with his surgically-repaired left wrist, but he did make some progress yesterday.
Crawford was able to take 15 “controlled swings” in the cage with both hands, the first time he’s done so since his setback, after which he told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe that he “felt fine” and had “no pain or anything.”
Crawford admitted that he likely pushed himself too soon following surgery, so Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine said they plan to monitor him closely in the coming days in an effort to avoid another setback.
“It’s great to see,’’ Valentine said. “We’re totally controlling it. I’ve had too many meetings on it so far, that’s how many meetings I’ve had. Too many. So we’re going to control it and he gets it. It’s a designed program that he’s going to stick to.”
Crawford also began throwing this week, but it’s not clear when he’ll begin taking live batting practice or whether he’ll play in any Grapefruit League games. As of now, it appears offseason acquisitions Cody Ross and Ryan Sweeney will start in the corner outfield spots for the first few weeks of the season.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 57
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?