Mar 17, 2012, 10:30 AM EST
Chris Perez‘s bullpen session yesterday went a lot better than the one that left him with a strained left oblique nearly a month ago.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Perez threw 20 pitches — all fastballs — in his first throwing session since the injury and felt no pain in his side. He’s scheduled to throw another bullpen session on Sunday and live batting practice on Tuesday. Barring any setbacks, he could make his Cactus League debut next Friday against the Angels.
It’s not known if he’ll be ready for Opening Day, but Indians’ manager Manny Acta said he would be comfortable if Perez made six or seven appearances before the team breaks camp. If he pitches next Friday, there would be just 11 games left on the Cactus League schedule, so it’s possible he could get some work in on the minor league side.
Perez, 26, posted a 3.32 ERA and 39/26 K/BB ratio across 59 2/3 innings last season while saving 36 games in 40 chances. Vinnie Pestano would likely handle save chances if he’s not ready for the start of the season.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)