Mar 17, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer has stolen the show in Diamondbacks’ camp, posting a 2.57 ERA and 7/1 K/BB ratio over seven innings during Cactus League action. We’ve heard multiple reports recently that the 21-year-old right-hander was being seriously considered for a spot in the starting rotation, but it appears his major league debut will have to wait.
Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports that Josh Collmenter will begin the season in the rotation. This comes on the heels of Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reporting yesterday that the D-Backs are discussing moving Collmenter to the bullpen once one of their young starters is ready.
Collmenter had a 3.38 ERA and 100/28 K/BB ratio over 154 1/3 innings last season as a rookie. While his control was excellent throughout, the 26-year-old right-hander had a 4.42 ERA over his final 18 starts. And while it was deemed minor, he was scratched from a scheduled appearance last week to forearm tightness. His spot appears safe for now, but Bauer and fellow top prospect Tyler Skaggs will be nipping at his heels if he gets off to a slow start.
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 62
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 58
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (87)