Mar 17, 2012, 4:29 PM EDT
2011 first-round pick Trevor Bauer has stolen the show in Diamondbacks’ camp, posting a 2.57 ERA and 7/1 K/BB ratio over seven innings during Cactus League action. We’ve heard multiple reports recently that the 21-year-old right-hander was being seriously considered for a spot in the starting rotation, but it appears his major league debut will have to wait.
Jack Magruder of FOXSportsArizona.com reports that Josh Collmenter will begin the season in the rotation. This comes on the heels of Jim Bowden of ESPN.com and MLB Network Radio on Sirius XM reporting yesterday that the D-Backs are discussing moving Collmenter to the bullpen once one of their young starters is ready.
Collmenter had a 3.38 ERA and 100/28 K/BB ratio over 154 1/3 innings last season as a rookie. While his control was excellent throughout, the 26-year-old right-hander had a 4.42 ERA over his final 18 starts. And while it was deemed minor, he was scratched from a scheduled appearance last week to forearm tightness. His spot appears safe for now, but Bauer and fellow top prospect Tyler Skaggs will be nipping at his heels if he gets off to a slow start.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 0
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 29
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 236
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (236)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)