Mar 17, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Placido Polanco left this afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays with an injury to his left ring finger. He jammed the finger diving back into first base on a pickoff attempt.
No word yet on his condition, but an extended absence is the last thing the Phillies need after injuries were a constant theme for Polanco last season. The 36-year-old third baseman had a lowly .674 OPS over just 122 games and required double hernia surgery during the offseason.
Salisbury reported earlier this week that the Phillies were in the market for infield depth, so they’d likely intensify their pursuit if Polanco needs to miss some time.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Polanco was sent for X-rays, but that results aren’t yet available.
- MLB Players React to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 2
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)