Mar 17, 2012, 3:43 PM EDT
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Placido Polanco left this afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays with an injury to his left ring finger. He jammed the finger diving back into first base on a pickoff attempt.
No word yet on his condition, but an extended absence is the last thing the Phillies need after injuries were a constant theme for Polanco last season. The 36-year-old third baseman had a lowly .674 OPS over just 122 games and required double hernia surgery during the offseason.
Salisbury reported earlier this week that the Phillies were in the market for infield depth, so they’d likely intensify their pursuit if Polanco needs to miss some time.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Polanco was sent for X-rays, but that results aren’t yet available.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)