Mar 17, 2012, 3:43 PM EST
According to Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com, Placido Polanco left this afternoon’s game against the Blue Jays with an injury to his left ring finger. He jammed the finger diving back into first base on a pickoff attempt.
No word yet on his condition, but an extended absence is the last thing the Phillies need after injuries were a constant theme for Polanco last season. The 36-year-old third baseman had a lowly .674 OPS over just 122 games and required double hernia surgery during the offseason.
Salisbury reported earlier this week that the Phillies were in the market for infield depth, so they’d likely intensify their pursuit if Polanco needs to miss some time.
UPDATE: Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer reports that Polanco was sent for X-rays, but that results aren’t yet available.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 10
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 55
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 37
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)