Mar 17, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star reports that, contrary to Heyman’s report, the Royals have not made an offer to Rodriguez or invited him to camp. The club has “inquired” about the veteran backstop, but have also looked into “20 or more” players.
Hard to tell whether an official offer was ever actually made, but Moore told Heyman that Rodriguez is not ready to join the team right now. It’s not clear why that is, but I can’t imagine there are any other legitimate chances for playing time out there at this point. Perhaps he’s injured or just not in the proper playing shape.
4:35 PM: In Heyman’s latest update, Royals’ general manager Dayton Moore said he was told that Rodriguez still wants to play “at some point,” but is not ready to join the team right now.
3:45 PM: Heyman reports that the Royals “admit” they have called Rodriguez to express interest, but it sounds like they’re downplaying whether they have made an official offer.
2:49 PM: In the wake of Salvador Perez‘s knee injury, Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star speculated yesterday morning that the Royals could have interest in 40-year-old Ivan Rodriguez as a stopgap option behind the plate. It appears he was right on the money.
Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Royals are interested in bringing Rodriguez to camp, but that’s he’s currently mulling the opportunity and hasn’t decided whether he’ll accept the offer. It’s not clear if he is fielding offers from other teams, though Scott Miller of CBSSports.com reported yesterday that the Rays were expected to look for catching depth.
Rodriguez was limited to just 44 games with the Nationals last season due to an oblique injury, batting .218/.281/.323 with two homers, 19 RBI and a .604 OPS over 137 plate appearances. However, he managed to throw out 13 of 25 (52 percent) of would-be basestealers. The 40-year-old backstop is 156 hits shy of 3,000 for his career.
If signed, Rodriguez would likely share the workload with Brayan Pena, who owns an underwhelming .251/.293/.359 batting line and a .652 OPS over 728 plate appearances in the majors.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 60
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 32
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)