Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Ryan Braun went 0-for-2 with a walk in Saturday’s Cactus League game vs. the Angels, leaving him 1-for-15 with three walks and five strikeouts through the first half of the 2012 exhibition schedule.
It’s silly to over-analyze spring stats, but let’s just note that Braun batted .325/.372/.700 in 40 at-bats last February and March and is a .307/.367/.623 career hitter in Cactus League play.
One has to wonder whether his drawn-out PED case took a mental toll, and is now playing a factor in the slow start. For what it’s worth, Braun is not concerned.
“Spring Training has never been result-oriented,” he told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy after Saturday’s 8-1 loss. “It’s always process-oriented. The process is certainly a little different this year. It’s an adjustment I’ll have to make. If I go 0-for-50 in spring training, I’m 100 percent confident I’ll have success in the season. I’m serious. It’s just a different intensity, different focus, energy, enthusiasm when you play regular season games. It just is. Of course, I want to have success. You always want to have success. But it’s different.”
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 20
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)