Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Ryan Braun went 0-for-2 with a walk in Saturday’s Cactus League game vs. the Angels, leaving him 1-for-15 with three walks and five strikeouts through the first half of the 2012 exhibition schedule.
It’s silly to over-analyze spring stats, but let’s just note that Braun batted .325/.372/.700 in 40 at-bats last February and March and is a .307/.367/.623 career hitter in Cactus League play.
One has to wonder whether his drawn-out PED case took a mental toll, and is now playing a factor in the slow start. For what it’s worth, Braun is not concerned.
“Spring Training has never been result-oriented,” he told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy after Saturday’s 8-1 loss. “It’s always process-oriented. The process is certainly a little different this year. It’s an adjustment I’ll have to make. If I go 0-for-50 in spring training, I’m 100 percent confident I’ll have success in the season. I’m serious. It’s just a different intensity, different focus, energy, enthusiasm when you play regular season games. It just is. Of course, I want to have success. You always want to have success. But it’s different.”
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 38
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 89
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (122)