Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT
Ryan Braun went 0-for-2 with a walk in Saturday’s Cactus League game vs. the Angels, leaving him 1-for-15 with three walks and five strikeouts through the first half of the 2012 exhibition schedule.
It’s silly to over-analyze spring stats, but let’s just note that Braun batted .325/.372/.700 in 40 at-bats last February and March and is a .307/.367/.623 career hitter in Cactus League play.
One has to wonder whether his drawn-out PED case took a mental toll, and is now playing a factor in the slow start. For what it’s worth, Braun is not concerned.
“Spring Training has never been result-oriented,” he told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy after Saturday’s 8-1 loss. “It’s always process-oriented. The process is certainly a little different this year. It’s an adjustment I’ll have to make. If I go 0-for-50 in spring training, I’m 100 percent confident I’ll have success in the season. I’m serious. It’s just a different intensity, different focus, energy, enthusiasm when you play regular season games. It just is. Of course, I want to have success. You always want to have success. But it’s different.”
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (133)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)