Ryan Braun 1-for-15 on the spring after hitless Saturday

Mar 17, 2012, 8:48 PM EDT

braun ap AP

Ryan Braun went 0-for-2 with a walk in Saturday’s Cactus League game vs. the Angels, leaving him 1-for-15 with three walks and five strikeouts through the first half of the 2012 exhibition schedule.

It’s silly to over-analyze spring stats, but let’s just note that Braun batted .325/.372/.700 in 40 at-bats last February and March and is a .307/.367/.623 career hitter in Cactus League play.

One has to wonder whether his drawn-out PED case took a mental toll, and is now playing a factor in the slow start. For what it’s worth, Braun is not concerned.

“Spring Training has never been result-oriented,” he told MLB.com’s Adam McCalvy after Saturday’s 8-1 loss. “It’s always process-oriented. The process is certainly a little different this year. It’s an adjustment I’ll have to make. If I go 0-for-50 in spring training, I’m 100 percent confident I’ll have success in the season. I’m serious. It’s just a different intensity, different focus, energy, enthusiasm when you play regular season games. It just is. Of course, I want to have success. You always want to have success. But it’s different.”

1. redguy12588 - Mar 17, 2012 at 8:53 PM

As a Pirates fan, I will say nothing except:
    :-D

2. Gordon - Mar 17, 2012 at 8:58 PM

His PED case didn’t take a mental toll on him. It was a physical toll, as in he can’t take PEDs anymore.

• mrfloydpink - Mar 18, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Hm, you haven’t heard most of whatever evidence was presented in Braun’s hearing. You don’t know precisely what the effect of HGH or steroids or any other PED is on baseball players, since that question remains unresolved and hotly debated by scientists. And yes, you were able to reach firm conclusions anyhow. Way to go!

• mrfloydpink - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM

Hey all, do me a favor. Please “thumbs down” my post, so I can get an accurate count the number of self-righteous, overly-judgmental losers who frequent these forums on the weekend. Thx!

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Okay – I’m not overly righteous or judgmental myself, but I thumbs-downed your post because no one else had yet. Nature abhors a vacuum.

• royalsfaninfargo - Mar 18, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Love you Gator! Always around for the best smart aleckiness!

• mrfloydpink - Mar 18, 2012 at 4:08 PM

Damn, Gator, you’re tainting my results!

In further protest of the knee-jerk tendency to ascribe anything end everything to steroids, I went and put the single word ‘steroids.’ as a comment for five consecutive stories today. Curiously, that comment got a majority thumbs up under the Nady story, yet overwhelming thumbs down on the Peavy and Cespedes stories. Odd.

3. steelersredsoxnation - Mar 17, 2012 at 9:54 PM

Coming down off the juice is wearing on him.

4. ireportyoudecide - Mar 17, 2012 at 10:05 PM

I think it’s going to be hard for him, Braun seems to legitmately care what people think about him. I remember when Bonds was playing his last couple years and they had perjury case going and the fans just hated him, but Bonds just didn’t give a damn what anybody thought about him and it never effected his play at all. Braun needs to figure that out or he is going to struggle this year.

5. racksie - Mar 17, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Hmm….Curious. Why such the drop off? He should be flying high on his vindication. Or he is suffering an “unexplainable” low.

6. taz101 - Mar 17, 2012 at 10:15 PM

He’s fine. Just another herpes flare up giving him batting-stance comfort issues. He’ll make it through this.

7. bleed4philly - Mar 17, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Guilty

8. brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM

How come its not results-oriented when his results suck?

9. premiumpit - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Hes a juiccceeeeee bag…But so are most football players…

10. btwicey - Mar 17, 2012 at 11:44 PM

All u haters baggin the brother thinking 1-15 means juiceless, the fact of the matter is you , me, selig will never ever know – so speculate all you want. But stay off the bandwagon when he’s batting .310/.360/.515 .

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:05 AM

No plans of ever jumping on the Braun bandwagon again. Even if he didn’t do it, he has come off as a completely unlikeable guy throughout the process. So, I guess I’ll just keep “hating”.

• bbk1000 - Mar 18, 2012 at 8:16 AM

We all do know, the results came back, nothing was tampered with. You sound like an OJ juror, meaning…, well…..ok, I’ll say it, you sound stupid.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2012 at 1:21 PM

We’re going to make it a hell of a bandwagon, too – banjos, string bass, fiddle, dobro and an entire section of pogo stick boom-basses with washboards, cowbells, Harpo horns and cymbals. We’ll have a couple of ladies from the church choir singing hometown favorites like “When ya Leave Me, Walk Backerds, So’s I Think Yore Comin’ In” and “My Baby Done Left Me So’s I Hit ‘Er in the Mouth.” Yeee-hawww!

No, it’s got nothing to do with Ryan Braun – but then, I checked out the Encyclopedia of Country Music and found nothing about testosterone – steroids, yes, for the cows and chickens but nothing on testosterone. I also checked the Yiddish dictionary for the equivalent of “bandwagon” and couldn’t find anything, so I’m just making life easier for myself and going with the crowd favorites.

• brokea$$lovesmesomeme - Mar 18, 2012 at 2:39 PM

Watch yourself gator, kaufax will think your an anti-Semite if you pick on the hebrew hammer.

• Old Gator - Mar 18, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Naaahhh, not Kouffie. He’s seen me extol the virtues of good Jewish deli far too many times hereabouts so he knows better. Anyway, if it makes him feel better with pesach impending, he can always conceptualize a positive as the afikomen.

11. btwicey - Mar 18, 2012 at 3:31 AM

What’s he done wrong? Apart from defending himself. To be honest I personally think he’s one of the more likable guys in the game.

• patg1041 - Mar 18, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Other than infer (without proof) that the drug test delivery guy tampered with his drug test, no he hasn’t done anything unlikable.

12. joj0420 - Mar 18, 2012 at 7:50 AM

yeah this almost proves without a shadow of a doubt that he did take his PEDs. if anyone has even watch him play this year so far granted its not legit yet but still u dont aim to go 1-15…….ur “better” than that..

13. phillyphreak - Mar 18, 2012 at 8:41 AM

I think it’s comical that people here are inferring that his slow start is because he’s not on steroids. Confirmation bias is a strong thing….

14. bleed4philly - Mar 18, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Actions speak louder than words.

15. jrspike - Mar 18, 2012 at 9:50 AM

Damm, forgot to take those pills, uh mean my vitamins.

16. muskyhunter2542 - Mar 18, 2012 at 10:12 AM

the intelligent comments on here or lack there of, really should embarrass some of you morons. if braun was on your team you would be the first to say he was innocent.

• JBerardi - Mar 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM

Embrace magical thinking!

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Meh. Off Season weekend commenters. S’why most people stay off the comments section on the weekend: trolls, basically. Its hard to get anything reasonably funny or semi-intelligent going in terms of conversation since a good portion of the comments are little more than uninformed opinion & jeering.
      Doesn’t matter, in any case. Real baseball starts in 12 days. After that, the weekends get pretty lively with the news and comments. Can’t wait.

• firstandonlywarning - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:46 PM

Speaking for “most people” huh?

You and “most people” have gotten together and discussed how you don’t comment on the weekends right?

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:49 PM

I’m sure this is the worst comment on here and deserves your exacting parsing and criticism. Carry on.

• paperlions - Mar 18, 2012 at 2:07 PM

I agree and have made this comment before, once you reach a certain percentage of trollism and inane comments, the ability to have a baseball discussion decreases precipitously. Unlike PFT, PHT, or any of the other NBC blogs, during the week HBT has a high enough level of discourse for there to be engaging conversations…that generally goes away on the weekends.

• 24missed - Mar 18, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Happy Belated St. Paddy’s Cur!

Let’s get something funny going before this weekday/wkend cupcake watches her Sox ruffle your bird’s feathers.

That was a good one.

• cur68 - Mar 18, 2012 at 5:01 PM

24! How are you my little bean sprout? I haven’t seen you about the comments section for far too long. I trust you had a good St. Patrick’s Day? I certainly did. While my countrymen & women rioted and destroyed a portion of downtown London Ontario, I slept the sleep of the Just & Virtuous til dang near noon yesterday. I then rose, refreshed and invigorated, to tackle 40 pages of dense text (not thickly written mind you. Dense because I wrote it and like begets like, y’know). One day I will unravel the secrets of punctuation and the semi colon. Til then, I suffer, as do my editors. Likewise for run-on sentences.
        Tell me, my little Tea Cozy, did you riot too, or were you merely modestly festive?

• 24missed - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Just to get your attention, though it should be that hard, right?

This comment actually requires an awful lot of thought. The one re: your density.
        It’d be cool to converse throughout our battles of ball and take a break to enjoy editing.
        Posting here, my concerns for dangling what-nots and such are not attended to, but
        I lurve editing. And, you are an author? Even more intriguing.

Not to much rioting on St. Pat’s. Unless you count the nieces and nephews. They are a riot, really. But, no. As Toby Keith would sing, “I Ain’t As Good As I Once Was” back in the day…

And being Black Irish, w/ a last name like mine, boy, I was trouble.

• cur68 - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM

Well there you are, after all.

I’m an author the same way a blind chicken finds corn once in a while. What happens is I hunt & peck and I hunt & peck and I hunt & peck and then, BLAM, corn happens. My editors are my thesis supervisors and committee members. We all suffer away together with this process known as My Master’s Thesis.

I wish I was more interesting, really, just to deserve the “intriguing” handle. Alas, the best I can do is say “T’aint nuthin’ special”.
        However, I’m glad you’re still around the web pages. Can’t wait to let you virtually cry on my supportive e-shoulder when The Blue Jays pummel the ever lovin’ crap outta your Sox. I promise to be extra supportive in those moments.

17. tonyc920 - Mar 18, 2012 at 4:05 PM

It wasn’t steroids, he tested positive for pork chops you idiots ! Regardless of what happened or didn’t happen, spring training is just what it is – SPRING TRAINING. When was the last time a team or player who booted ass in spring training continued that success into and through out the season ?

18. baltazar52 - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:34 AM

All I will say is Matt Kemp is the true NL MVP!!!!

• muskyhunter2542 - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Why didnt he win it then???

19. sportsfreak61787 - Mar 19, 2012 at 4:10 AM

I love how you morons say, oh its the juice! so what about the first 5 years he tested clean an he avg a 305 ba an 32hrs/yr?

20. premiumpit - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:13 AM

He just didnt get caught…The was taking steriods and the only reason it got over turned was because they guy sent the sample out late…If u think some of these arent taking juice ur crazy…but like i said earlier whats the big deal all football players are all on steriods and GH and no one seems to care about that…So why argue about baseball???

21. eigenklarg - Mar 24, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Just a few more cc’s and that swing will be back.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3962)