Mar 18, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
As first reported by Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A’s announced Sunday morning in camp that reliever Joey Devine is going to open the season on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering soreness in his right biceps muscle.
Devine is believed to be making progress, but he has yet to throw a pitch in a Cactus League game and was only recently cleared for mound work.
The 28-year-old right-hander posted a cool 3.52 ERA in 23 innings last year and owns a stellar 2.75 career ERA, but he can’t seem to stay healthy. Devine will be eligible to be activated from the DL on April 8.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)