Mar 18, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
As first reported by Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A’s announced Sunday morning in camp that reliever Joey Devine is going to open the season on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering soreness in his right biceps muscle.
Devine is believed to be making progress, but he has yet to throw a pitch in a Cactus League game and was only recently cleared for mound work.
The 28-year-old right-hander posted a cool 3.52 ERA in 23 innings last year and owns a stellar 2.75 career ERA, but he can’t seem to stay healthy. Devine will be eligible to be activated from the DL on April 8.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (94)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (86)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)