Mar 18, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
As first reported by Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle, the A’s announced Sunday morning in camp that reliever Joey Devine is going to open the season on the 15-day disabled list due to lingering soreness in his right biceps muscle.
Devine is believed to be making progress, but he has yet to throw a pitch in a Cactus League game and was only recently cleared for mound work.
The 28-year-old right-hander posted a cool 3.52 ERA in 23 innings last year and owns a stellar 2.75 career ERA, but he can’t seem to stay healthy. Devine will be eligible to be activated from the DL on April 8.
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 43
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 69
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)