Jake Peavy goes five hitless in third Cactus League start

Mar 18, 2012, 9:31 AM EST

peavy ap AP

White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy was shelled for three earned runs on four hits in his two-inning Cactus League debut March 7 against the Brewers.

Peavy then allowed six earned runs on eights hits to the A’s in his second Cactus League start — an outing that lasted just 2 1/3 innings.

But he got back on the right track Sunday.

On the mound for the third time in Cactus League play, Peavy hurled five innings of hitless ball against the Mariners. He struck out five while issuing just one walk, and threw 55 of his 70 pitches for strikes.

“It was a good day, got a lot of good work in,” Peavy told reporters after the 5-0 exhibition victory over Seattle. “It’s refreshing to go out there and have good stuff and good command. After that last start, people were talking about, ‘I thought you said you felt good.’ I do feel good. We’re working on stuff. If I make a bad pitch, I turn around in spring training, I’m throwing the same pitch until I get it.”

Peavy has registered a 4.49 ERA in 238 2/3 innings with the White Sox since being acquired in a blockbuster trade at the July 2009 deadline. The 30-year-old is owed a $17 million salary this season.

1. mrfloydpink - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Steroids.

• thekcubrats - Mar 18, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Mariners.

2. riverace19 - Mar 18, 2012 at 12:40 PM

He’s really only 30? For Peavy, 30 is the new 40

3. Robert Alan - Mar 18, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Lets see if he earns his salary this year, need him to get 25+ 6 or 7 inning starts from him to replace innings that went to Marlins with Mark Buerle.

4. jlove42 - Mar 18, 2012 at 3:58 PM

I was lucky enough to be in attendance for Jake Peavy’s masterpiece against the Indians last May. Complete game, 3 hits, 8K/0BB, and just awesome to see him so in command. I hope he can bottle up outings like these consistently this season.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2719)
  2. W. Myers (2453)
  3. C. McGehee (2071)
  4. D. Ross (2047)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1925)
  1. J. Shields (1806)