Mar 18, 2012, 9:31 AM EDT
White Sox right-hander Jake Peavy was shelled for three earned runs on four hits in his two-inning Cactus League debut March 7 against the Brewers.
Peavy then allowed six earned runs on eights hits to the A’s in his second Cactus League start — an outing that lasted just 2 1/3 innings.
But he got back on the right track Sunday.
On the mound for the third time in Cactus League play, Peavy hurled five innings of hitless ball against the Mariners. He struck out five while issuing just one walk, and threw 55 of his 70 pitches for strikes.
“It was a good day, got a lot of good work in,” Peavy told reporters after the 5-0 exhibition victory over Seattle. “It’s refreshing to go out there and have good stuff and good command. After that last start, people were talking about, ‘I thought you said you felt good.’ I do feel good. We’re working on stuff. If I make a bad pitch, I turn around in spring training, I’m throwing the same pitch until I get it.”
Peavy has registered a 4.49 ERA in 238 2/3 innings with the White Sox since being acquired in a blockbuster trade at the July 2009 deadline. The 30-year-old is owed a $17 million salary this season.
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 0
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 4
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 9
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 29
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 19
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 13
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 42
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (188)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)