Mar 18, 2012, 8:10 PM EDT
It’s not every day a team sends down two former No. 1 draft picks.
Reliever Matt Bush, the first overall selection in the 2004 draft, and shortstop Tim Beckham, the first pick in 2008, were both demoted as part of the Rays’ roster cuts on Sunday.
Both moves were expected. The more surprising demotion was that of outfielder Brandon Guyer, who looked like he had a shot at a bench spot before going 4-for-25 with no extra-base hits or walks in Grapefruit League play.
Bush, a shortstop when he was drafted first by the Padres eight years ago, pitched 4 2/3 scoreless innings this spring. Unfortunately, he put himself into a hole before the exhibition season even started. In an intrasquad game, he threw the pitch that left Evan Longoria with a badly bruised hand and knocked the All-Star out of competition for two weeks.
Beckham didn’t impress. He was 1-for-24 with eight strikeouts and one walk in camp.
Both players are expected to open the season at Triple-A Durham, Beckham as the team’s regular shortstop. Bush will probably work in a setup role.
The Rays’ other notable cut today was reliever Dane De La Rosa. He was demoted despite striking out 11 in 5 2/3 scoreless innings this spring.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 15
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- Watch LIVE: Sharks-Kings, Game 5
- PHT: Wings push Hawks to brink of elimination
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Posnanski: Hornets more than a name to Charlotte