Mar 19, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
Bankruptcy tends to get rid of all of the lawsuits you have pending against you. And the Dodgers, who are bankrupt, had been trying to have the Bryan Stow lawsuit disposed of. Not too popular a move, of course, and Bryan Stow’s attorneys fought hard to avoid it. But now a deal has been struck.
Per Bill Shaikin, the bankruptcy court overseeing the Dodgers approved a deal in which Stow can advance his claims in regular Superior Court and, if he can make it that far, get in front of a jury. Meanwhile, Stow agrees not to object to the Dodgers emerging from bankruptcy, thereby allowing the sale of the team, set for next month, to go through.
When this idea was first suggested earlier this month, the Dodgers’ proposal was that Stow would only seek to recover damages from the team’s insurance carriers and not from individual defendants (i.e. Frank McCourt). One would presume that that is part of the deal too.
Wow. Frank McCourt and the Wilpons all cutting deals on the same day. It’s a pretty good Monday if you’re one of baseball’s financially troubled owners.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 76
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)