Dirk Hayhurst had a pretty short stay in Italy

Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT

Dirk Hayhurst

Dirk Hayhurst, friend of the blog and author of “The Bullpen Gospels”and the recently released (and most excellent) “Out of my League,” was supposed to play for Nettuno of the Serie A1 in Italy this year. He signed back in January was going to be their Opening Day starter, but the plans have changed.

In a series of Tweets yesterday, Hayhurst revealed that he’s coming back home:

I’m back in the states. I regret I had to leave Italy for personal & professional reasons that I cannot fully disclose at this time … I’d also like to say I’m very sorry to leave so shortly after arriving, that it was not personal and I regret it happened the way it did.

Somewhat mysterious, but reading between the lines of several of his tweets, the suggestion is that he got a better offer back home.  Whether that’s baseball or writing/media related is unclear.

The sucky part: also reading the tweets, you get the sense that a lot of Italian people are really angry at him and have said stuff about his wife and all of that.  I guess that goes with the territory, but some advice to Dirk: don’t engage them. Simply say: it’s business, not personal.  That always goes over well.

1. Old Gator - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

I know how much weight I gained during my short stays in Italy. What I wonder is, how many pounds did he put on?

2. samu0034 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:21 AM

That’s kind of a bummer, I bet a book involving playing professional baseball in Italy could have been fantastically interesting. I kind of hope he chose to come back for a media gig, because in that case I can understand wanting to strike while the iron is hot. But if it’s for a chance to catch on with a major league team over here… on one hand it’s such a long shot that he maybe ought to just let it go, but on the other hand it’s pretty much every guy’s dream, so I can imagine it’s next to impossible to let it die.

Side note, there was a pretty interesting segment on the Freakonomics Podcast at some point detailing minor leaguers hanging on longer than they “should”.

• bsbiz - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:27 AM

He said one of his reasons for going to Italy was because he wasn’t receiving much major league interest and because he didn’t want to hang around in the minors. Instead, he wanted to go out and do something fun and exciting, hence: Italian baseball. I kind of doubt this has to do with playing baseball.

• samu0034 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:51 AM

I kind of figured that was the reason, considering his claim to fame is writing about the experience of trying to make it, and playing in Italy would be great fodder for a book. I was really just going off of Craig’s statement in the article.

3. jwbiii - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:45 AM

This is a heck of a tease:

Dirk Hayhurst ‏ @TheGarfoose

In short: contract violations, feral cats, the polizia, lost euros, a better job, gelato, and a man who screwed a cow… I was sad to leave

• samu0034 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:53 AM

What? Italians attempting contract shenanigans? Why, I never…

• mrfloydpink - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:15 PM

As a sidebar, let me just say that I spent my honeymoon in Italy, and every day my wife and I went to a different gelato place recommended by a guidebook or a hotel staffer. And they all were inferior to the gelato in Los Angeles. First, Italians make their gelato in a manner that is not all that appealing to American palates–too sweet and dense, I would say. And second, there is clearly a corporation in Italy that specializes in making mass-produced gelato that is designed to appear handcrafted. When we went to the first place and saw the pineapple gelato decorated with pineapples, and the cookies and cream gelato decorated with oreos, and so forth, we were excited. When the second and third place had the EXACT same decorations, we knew something was up.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

You also followed a guide book to tell you where to go. Isn’t it possible they recommended some of the more commercial places to go?

I went with my wife and her family to Rome for 2 days and Florence for 4, and I’d give anything to go back for months at a time. Maybe this time I’ll actually sack up and use the Italian I spent 5 years in school learning =\

4. randomdigits - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM

I was on the fence about buying his new book, as I did enjoy his first one. If he decided to back out of a contract to play in Italy because a better offer presented itself then that will be enough to for me to withdraw my support.

You sign a contract, you fulfill a contract.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)