Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Dirk Hayhurst, friend of the blog and author of “The Bullpen Gospels”and the recently released (and most excellent) “Out of my League,” was supposed to play for Nettuno of the Serie A1 in Italy this year. He signed back in January was going to be their Opening Day starter, but the plans have changed.
In a series of Tweets yesterday, Hayhurst revealed that he’s coming back home:
I’m back in the states. I regret I had to leave Italy for personal & professional reasons that I cannot fully disclose at this time … I’d also like to say I’m very sorry to leave so shortly after arriving, that it was not personal and I regret it happened the way it did.
Somewhat mysterious, but reading between the lines of several of his tweets, the suggestion is that he got a better offer back home. Whether that’s baseball or writing/media related is unclear.
The sucky part: also reading the tweets, you get the sense that a lot of Italian people are really angry at him and have said stuff about his wife and all of that. I guess that goes with the territory, but some advice to Dirk: don’t engage them. Simply say: it’s business, not personal. That always goes over well.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)