Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Dirk Hayhurst, friend of the blog and author of “The Bullpen Gospels”and the recently released (and most excellent) “Out of my League,” was supposed to play for Nettuno of the Serie A1 in Italy this year. He signed back in January was going to be their Opening Day starter, but the plans have changed.
In a series of Tweets yesterday, Hayhurst revealed that he’s coming back home:
I’m back in the states. I regret I had to leave Italy for personal & professional reasons that I cannot fully disclose at this time … I’d also like to say I’m very sorry to leave so shortly after arriving, that it was not personal and I regret it happened the way it did.
Somewhat mysterious, but reading between the lines of several of his tweets, the suggestion is that he got a better offer back home. Whether that’s baseball or writing/media related is unclear.
The sucky part: also reading the tweets, you get the sense that a lot of Italian people are really angry at him and have said stuff about his wife and all of that. I guess that goes with the territory, but some advice to Dirk: don’t engage them. Simply say: it’s business, not personal. That always goes over well.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27