Mar 19, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Dirk Hayhurst, friend of the blog and author of “The Bullpen Gospels”and the recently released (and most excellent) “Out of my League,” was supposed to play for Nettuno of the Serie A1 in Italy this year. He signed back in January was going to be their Opening Day starter, but the plans have changed.
In a series of Tweets yesterday, Hayhurst revealed that he’s coming back home:
I’m back in the states. I regret I had to leave Italy for personal & professional reasons that I cannot fully disclose at this time … I’d also like to say I’m very sorry to leave so shortly after arriving, that it was not personal and I regret it happened the way it did.
Somewhat mysterious, but reading between the lines of several of his tweets, the suggestion is that he got a better offer back home. Whether that’s baseball or writing/media related is unclear.
The sucky part: also reading the tweets, you get the sense that a lot of Italian people are really angry at him and have said stuff about his wife and all of that. I guess that goes with the territory, but some advice to Dirk: don’t engage them. Simply say: it’s business, not personal. That always goes over well.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)