Freddy Garcia doesn’t sound thrilled about Andy Pettitte being back

Mar 19, 2012, 8:20 AM EDT

New York Yankees' Garcia stretches during a workout at the team's spring training complex in Tampa

Andy Pettitte’s return has everyone excited.  Well, almost everyone.

When reached for comment, Phil Hughes, who may be ticketed to the pen or to the minors as a result of the Pettitte signing, offered the classically passive-aggressive “is what it is.” Though to be fair it was surrounded by some more diplomatic noises.

But there was one guy who was a bit more obviously peeved: Freddy Garcia.

As we mentioned on Friday, Garcia is likely the odd man out in the Yankees pitching plan. And Garcia seems particularly underwhelmed, bordering on grumpy, about the idea of Pettitte being back in pinstripes. From Marc Carig’s report in the Star-Ledger:

“I don’t really care,” Garcia said, when asked about Pettitte’s return. “That’s their decision. I’m here to pitch and that’s what I want to do.”

When asked if Pettitte’s addition was good for the team, Garcia threw his hands up, seemingly exasperated by the turn of events.

“I don’t know man,” said Garcia, who like Hughes a day before, gave a lukewarm reaction. “Ask the people. I don’t know. I guess …You play with the Yankees, nothing surprises you.”

Garcia’s exasperation is perhaps understandable. But given how much love there is for Andy Pettitte in both the fan base and in some quarters of the New York sporting press, he’s not going to win any popularity contests if he’s noticeably angry about this.

1. paperlions - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:24 AM

In fairness to Garcia, asking him if Pettitte’s return was good for the team is asking if he thinks Pettitte is better than he is….what is he supposed to say? “Yeah, it’s great because I suck and didn’t feel like pitching this year anyway.”

• aleskel - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:09 AM

“You’re Daryl Strawberry”
      “Yes”
      “You play right field”
      “Yes”
      “I play right field too”
      “So?”
      “So, are you better than me?”
      “Well, I don’t know you, but … yes”

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:11 AM

Darrrrrrrrrryl, Darrrrrrrrrrrrrrryl, Darrrrrrrrrrryl

2. purnellmeagrejr - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:27 AM

AN honest answer from a baseballl player is a rarity. Hockey players seem to be the only ones willing to tell the truth.

3. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Could the Pettitte signing just be an elaborate ruse to get Freddy to accept a trade (since the Yankees can’t trade him before June 15 without his approval)? Whether intentional or not, it certainly sounds like this move will make that trade a little smoother.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:56 AM

If the Yanks are running 7 SP with Freddie running 7th, you’d think he’d have no issue if they could find a trade partner in getting Garcia to accept.

4. Kevin S. - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:49 AM

Breaking: Players upset about losing playing time!

• cltjump - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

Groundbreaking reporting. You may have something here, Kev.

5. deathmonkey41 - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:36 AM

If Ivan Nova keeps pitching the way he has so far this spring, Freddy might not be leaving after all.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’ve been saying all along that I would not be surprised to see Nova shipped to AAA for a month or so. It won’t kill him and it lets the Yankees preserve their enviable depth.

6. Cris E - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Garcia came in from somewhere very near retirement when he revived his career a few years back and displaced Hughes and others. He knows he can’t complain, but geez, shouldn’t he have a ladle full of platitudes to feed the press at at time like this?

“Andy’s a great guy. He’s got some work to do, but we’re all just here to win. In the end it’s up to management, so all I can do it pitch well. Blah, blah, blah. Did you hear me? Blah, blah, blah. What kind of answer were you looking for? Jesus…”

7. tlsmlieb - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:17 AM

How is Garcia supposed to feel? The guy came off a solid season in which he was one of the better starters on the Yankees. He had offers from other teams but chooses to return to the Yankees. They then get Pineda and now add Pettitte, who has not pitched in a year and is turning 40. I love both acquisitions but I am not Garcia. He must be feeling pretty unimportant and possilby stupid for not signing elsewhere.

• uyf1950 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:01 AM

Where else was he going to sign? That’s right Boston had/has a couple of openings. But wait a minute. He’s to expensive for them $4MM guaranteed plus incentives that could total an additional $1.5MM.

8. xmatt0926x - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Last year was fools gold with Garcia. A 50 year old Pettitte is better than this stiff. I’m not even a Yankees fan and Freddy Garcia offends me.

9. djpostl - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Cry me a river Freddy, God forbid you get $4 million to be a long reliever. Oh the humanity.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3795)