Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez said throughout the offseason that he was optimistic about recovering from June shoulder surgery in time for Opening Day, but like so many “optimistic” updates from teams and players recently that’s now looking like wishful thinking.
Sanchez missed the final three-plus months of last season and has yet to play second base this spring, leading manager Bruce Bochy to admit yesterday that his odds of being in the Opening Day lineup aren’t good.
“We’re down to two weeks here and he hasn’t gotten out there yet,” Bochy told Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News. “We’re still optimistic that we will get him out there, but each day that goes by the possibility grows a little bit that he’s not going to be ready.”
“We’re still optimistic” has become the official spring training injury mantra across baseball.
Emmanuel Burriss, Ryan Theriot, and Mike Fontenot are options to replace Sanchez at second base. Sanchez has missed half of the Giants’ games since they acquired him from the Pirates in mid-2009, yet general manager Brian Sabean extended his contract twice during that time.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)