Mar 19, 2012, 12:48 PM EST
Freddy Sanchez said throughout the offseason that he was optimistic about recovering from June shoulder surgery in time for Opening Day, but like so many “optimistic” updates from teams and players recently that’s now looking like wishful thinking.
Sanchez missed the final three-plus months of last season and has yet to play second base this spring, leading manager Bruce Bochy to admit yesterday that his odds of being in the Opening Day lineup aren’t good.
“We’re down to two weeks here and he hasn’t gotten out there yet,” Bochy told Alex Pavlovic of the San Jose Mercury News. “We’re still optimistic that we will get him out there, but each day that goes by the possibility grows a little bit that he’s not going to be ready.”
“We’re still optimistic” has become the official spring training injury mantra across baseball.
Emmanuel Burriss, Ryan Theriot, and Mike Fontenot are options to replace Sanchez at second base. Sanchez has missed half of the Giants’ games since they acquired him from the Pirates in mid-2009, yet general manager Brian Sabean extended his contract twice during that time.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 80
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)