Mar 19, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
We usually don’t take spring training results all that seriously, but for 49-year-old Jamie Moyer, every outing matters. And today’s was a discouraging one.
Moyer was knocked around for four runs on six hits over 1 1/3 innings this afternoon against the Diamondbacks’ Triple-A squad, according to Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post. He threw 41 pitches in all while allowing two homers and striking out two.
Moyer, who signed a minor league deal with the Rockies over the winter, is attempting a comeback this spring after missing the entire 2011 season following Tommy John surgery. The veteran southpaw has allowed just one run over five innings during Cactus League action, but he was scratched from a scheduled minor league appearance on Friday due to left leg soreness.
Assuming Moyer didn’t have more issues with the leg this afternoon, he will continue his audition for a rotation spot Thursday against the Giants.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (80)