Mar 19, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Hunter Pence‘s one-hopper struck Cabrera in the face and the first baseman-turned-third baseman left the field a bloody mess, although he at least did so under his own power and may have actually been saved by the ball hitting his sunglasses.
Chris Iott, who covers the Tigers for MLive.com, wrote that Cabrera was “bleeding as much as I have seen a baseball player bleed.”
Hot corner: Still hot.
UPDATE: Cabrera needs stitches and is also going for X-rays.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 35
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 67
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 92
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)