Mar 19, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Hunter Pence‘s one-hopper struck Cabrera in the face and the first baseman-turned-third baseman left the field a bloody mess, although he at least did so under his own power and may have actually been saved by the ball hitting his sunglasses.
Chris Iott, who covers the Tigers for MLive.com, wrote that Cabrera was “bleeding as much as I have seen a baseball player bleed.”
Hot corner: Still hot.
UPDATE: Cabrera needs stitches and is also going for X-rays.
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 38
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 82
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)