Mar 19, 2012, 1:50 PM EDT
Hunter Pence‘s one-hopper struck Cabrera in the face and the first baseman-turned-third baseman left the field a bloody mess, although he at least did so under his own power and may have actually been saved by the ball hitting his sunglasses.
Chris Iott, who covers the Tigers for MLive.com, wrote that Cabrera was “bleeding as much as I have seen a baseball player bleed.”
Hot corner: Still hot.
UPDATE: Cabrera needs stitches and is also going for X-rays.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 1
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 39
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 23
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)