Mar 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Over the weekend when C.J. Wilson posted Mike Napoli‘s phone number to his 100,000-plus Twitter followers I just assumed it was a prank–albeit a pretty extreme one–but today Napoli made it very clear that he didn’t think it was funny. At all:
I don’t even know why he did it. You don’t do that. I am not taking it as a prank. You know, I haven’t even talked to him since the end of last season. We don’t have that type of relationship.
They’re former teammates and batterymates, but if Napoli and Wilson aren’t even friends and haven’t spoken in five months it’s awfully hard to see what Wilson did as anything but mean-spirited at best.
It all started when Napoli said he looked forward to hitting homers off Wilson, but those are not exactly fighting words. Wilson eventually deleted the tweet, but obviously the damage was done by then and calling it a “prank” after the fact seems like a stretch.
Or as Napoli put it: “I just think it was uncalled for.”
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 32
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 15
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 69
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86