Mar 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Over the weekend when C.J. Wilson posted Mike Napoli‘s phone number to his 100,000-plus Twitter followers I just assumed it was a prank–albeit a pretty extreme one–but today Napoli made it very clear that he didn’t think it was funny. At all:
I don’t even know why he did it. You don’t do that. I am not taking it as a prank. You know, I haven’t even talked to him since the end of last season. We don’t have that type of relationship.
They’re former teammates and batterymates, but if Napoli and Wilson aren’t even friends and haven’t spoken in five months it’s awfully hard to see what Wilson did as anything but mean-spirited at best.
It all started when Napoli said he looked forward to hitting homers off Wilson, but those are not exactly fighting words. Wilson eventually deleted the tweet, but obviously the damage was done by then and calling it a “prank” after the fact seems like a stretch.
Or as Napoli put it: “I just think it was uncalled for.”
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 35
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 47
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 27
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)