Mar 19, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Over the weekend when C.J. Wilson posted Mike Napoli‘s phone number to his 100,000-plus Twitter followers I just assumed it was a prank–albeit a pretty extreme one–but today Napoli made it very clear that he didn’t think it was funny. At all:
I don’t even know why he did it. You don’t do that. I am not taking it as a prank. You know, I haven’t even talked to him since the end of last season. We don’t have that type of relationship.
They’re former teammates and batterymates, but if Napoli and Wilson aren’t even friends and haven’t spoken in five months it’s awfully hard to see what Wilson did as anything but mean-spirited at best.
It all started when Napoli said he looked forward to hitting homers off Wilson, but those are not exactly fighting words. Wilson eventually deleted the tweet, but obviously the damage was done by then and calling it a “prank” after the fact seems like a stretch.
Or as Napoli put it: “I just think it was uncalled for.”
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 3
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 26
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)