Not cool: C.J. Wilson tweets Mike Napoli’s cell phone number

Mar 19, 2012, 9:12 AM EDT

Cell Phone

C.J. Wilson and Mike Napoli are former teammates and now play for division rivals.  Mike Napoli recently taunted Wilson, saying that he can’t wait to hit home runs off Wilson.  So, naturally, Wilson gets him back in proportional style: by tweeting Napoli’s cell phone to his 100,000+ Twitter followers.

Dave Brown of Big League Stew explains it all.  And I gotta agree with Dave here: not cool.

Wilson, one would think, knows as well as anyone how precious the privacy of a well-known baseball player is. And while Wilson defended himself by explaining how easy it is to switch your digits if you need to, it’s still a hassle.

And while I tend to agree with the Mahatma that an eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, if Napoli can arrange it he should totally try to get Wilson’s number changed to 867-5309.

1. phukyouk - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM

Jenny’s number is a bit too obvious. he should try to get it switched to 911. also the Zach Morris phone pic really brings back memories.

2. thor1310 - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM

CJ Wilson is a world class putz…most Rangers fans were happy to see him go. There are people that are full of themselves, and then there is this guy. 0 – 5 in postseason starts last year. Have fun Angel fans!

• phillyphreak - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Except for the part where he wasn’t really 0-5 in postseason starts last year. He was 0-3 with two no decisions. It would seem to me that referring to someone as a putz would require the remainder of that comment to be factually correct…..

• Detroit Michael - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Didn’t see your reply when I drafted mine, below.

• Detroit Michael - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:04 AM

CJ Wilson may be a putz, but there is no need to distort the facts and, frankly, there’s not much relationship if any between being a putz and pitching well in the post-season.

In the 2011 post-season, Wilson started five games. His Win-Loss record was 0-3. In his two no decisions, he pitched reasonably well and the Rangers came back to win those games.

• orton1227 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:31 AM

So we’re defending “reasonably good” starts and an 0-3 record? Awesome! I want to join in!

3. miketreedy - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Thor1310 is exactly right. If you haven’t heard CJ talking about himself in interviews you are missing out. The guys is so in love with himself it beyond anything I have ever heard. California is where he truly belongs. I’m sure many Ranger players are looking forward to facing him.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:05 AM

Yes, because when I think of humility and not talking about oneself, the first place that crosses my mind is Texas.

• aceshigh11 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:18 AM

Bwahahaha. Game. Set. Match.

• miketreedy - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Well, when your the best who needs humility. God Bless Texas!

4. hooks024 - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:06 AM

What do you mean “not cool?” That’s frickin hilarious. That’s better than ordering him some mormons.

• umrguy42 - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:08 AM

No, it’s hilarious when, say, LeVar Burton accidentally does it to himself with a public tweet of his brand new number (instead of a direct message), and his fellow Star Trek alums Wil Wheaton and Brent Spiner make fun of him. It’s not cool when one ballplayer does it to totally screw with another one.

5. cshearing - Mar 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Wow, that’s quite the dick move by CJ. I’d be pissed if I were Napoli. At this moment I would sort of wish that pitchers hit in the AL.

6. fearlessleader - Mar 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Most of last year’s Rangers struck me as good guys who were easy to root for. Wilson struck me as a smug, immature, egotistical d-bag. Glad to see my first-impression-o-meter still works.

7. scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I have a hard time understanding people who define themselves by what they don’t do rather than what they do.

8. rebeljpl - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:24 PM

I was so glad when they let CJ walk his smug ass right out of town. I love the Rangers and have since I was a kid, and as posted above most of the guys on the squad do come off as genuinely good guys but not this guy. He takes himself way too seriously. He thinks he’s way more awesome than he is. He thinks he’s way more well known an worldly than he is. All in all, CJ=asshole. I’m not going to say he’s an awful pitcher, bc last two years he’s been a big reason that the Rangers have gotten to the playoffs but, talent isn’t worth the BS and self entitlement that he spits out. He’s like T.O. In his prime, great talent but watch out… You never know what he’ll do. Anyway I hope Nap goes long on him first AB against them this year.

9. Adrastus Perkins - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:29 PM

Jered Weaver posted Mike Trout’s phone number on the scoreboard during a Spring Training game last year and it didn’t make a blip of news.

I realize that many thousands of people on Twitter is a little different than a few thousand at a baseball game, but the end result is the same.

No point calling CJ out for something that’s likely already resolved itself.

• phukyouk - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Hazing the rookie is not the same… granted its wrong.. but they make these guys dress like princesses and carry their shit across the field..

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:59 PM

We can call out CJ all we want. Just because Jered Weaver did it before doesn’t make it OK. It just means Jered Weaver an ass as well.

That is a bullshit move, particularly from a guy who is no longer your teammate. It’s a pain in the ass to contact everyone who may want to get in touch with you just to tell them your phone number has been changed. This chore can be made easier by simply leaving the new number on the voicemail of the old number, but obviously Napoli can’t do that at this point.

10. Spiro Agnew - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I dial 867-5309 every night before I go to bed, but no one ever answers…

Angels' 2011 overhaul finally paying off?
  1. R. Castillo (3275)