Ryan Madson: “I can’t prove it, but I do believe” Phillies made $44 million offer

Mar 19, 2012, 1:20 PM EST

Cincinnati Reds Photo Day Getty Images

General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. and agent Scott Boras have much different stories about how Ryan Madson went from reportedly being on the verge of a four-year, $44 million deal to remain with the Phillies to settling for a one-year, $8.5 million deal with the Reds.

Boras insists the Phillies made a verbal offer to Madson, but backed out of the deal and instead signed Jonathan Papelbon for $50 million. Amaro insists no official offer was made and the Phillies simply decided to move in a different direction at closer.

As for what Madson thinks, here’s what he said to Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com:

Madson cited the fact that Boras “has been in the business for 20 years and it’s never happened before” as reason to think the Phillies caused the agreement to unravel. Of course, Heyman then writes that “Madson also pointed out that Boras would have nothing to gain by concocting an offer that never happened.” Which, really, is one of the funniest sentences in the history of the English language.

1. mattintoledo - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:28 PM

That back end of that block quote sounds like Madson just throwing out a flurry of cliches until Heyman turned off the recorder.

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:30 PM

“I can’t prove it, but I do believe it. There’s a handful of theories. I never figured it out. But it became pretty obvious they wanted to go in a different direction. So I just moved on to see who else was interested. Thankfully, the Reds came into the picture. I’m actually glad I’m here. It’s been a nice change so far. I’m really not looking back. I wouldn’t have changed it for the world. It is what it is. Everything happens for a reason. You can’t make plans. Only one person can make plans.”

-Dock Ellis postgame interview, June 12, 1970

• Chris K - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Epic win

3. mdpickles - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:53 PM

I can’t prove it, but I did date Kathy Ireland in the late 80′s.

4. scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM

The last half of that comment has Crash Davis written all over it…

5. henryd3rd - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Of course his agent BorAss always has his clients’ interest at heart. What I read into this story is that BorAss played hardball and Amaro said screw it and moved in a different direction. It will not be the first time one of his clients got bad advice. That’s baseball!

6. bleedgreen - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM

That 44 Million offer may have been thrown out by Amaro, and Boras scoffed immediately. Amaro then said ‘OK nevermind. This never happened then, theres the door.’

7. Jonny 5 - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

More likely scenario:

Boras to Amaro: 4 years @ 144 million is a good place to start don’t you think Rube?

(silence)

Boras to Amaro: Just kidding buddy how about 4 years @ 44 million that we can turn down for a low ball offer to start things off?

Amaro to Boras: Uhhh, yeeeahhh…. (hand over reciever) “quick, get Papelbon’s agent on the phone. Uh hey Scott, I gotta go, talk to you later.

Boras to himself: That sounds like an offer! Hey Ryan, guess what?

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5883)