Mar 19, 2012, 4:46 PM EST
An MRI exam revealed that Skip Schumaker has a torn right oblique muscle, making it all but certain that he’ll begin the season on the disabled list.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals won’t have a timetable for his return until getting more information tomorrow, but general manager John Mozeliak admitted that it’s “highly unlikely” Schumaker will be on the Opening Day roster.
And considering how even minor oblique injuries tend to linger, a tear could easily sideline Schumaker for much of April.
Schumaker was slated to be used primarily in the outfield, so Shane Robinson, Matt Carpenter, and Adron Chambers are the leading in-house options to replace him and Rule 5 pick Erik Komatsu could also get a look.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)