Mar 19, 2012, 4:46 PM EDT
An MRI exam revealed that Skip Schumaker has a torn right oblique muscle, making it all but certain that he’ll begin the season on the disabled list.
Derrick Goold of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals won’t have a timetable for his return until getting more information tomorrow, but general manager John Mozeliak admitted that it’s “highly unlikely” Schumaker will be on the Opening Day roster.
And considering how even minor oblique injuries tend to linger, a tear could easily sideline Schumaker for much of April.
Schumaker was slated to be used primarily in the outfield, so Shane Robinson, Matt Carpenter, and Adron Chambers are the leading in-house options to replace him and Rule 5 pick Erik Komatsu could also get a look.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 45
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)