Mar 19, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
We’ve heard scary numbers regarding the potential liability of the Mets owners in the Madoff mess. The trustee, Irving Picard, was using the B-word at times last year. Recently it was thought that their exposure could be $300 million or more. A couple of weeks ago they were ordered to pay $83 million as part of the case. And today, of course, they settled for $162 million.
But in reality, it’s a lot less than that leaving their pockets.
For starters, this is because that $162 million settlement actually includes the $83 million that they had already been ordered to pay. But the biggest thing working in their favor here is that the $162 million is to be paid out of money the Mets owners may recover in a settlement by virtue of them being victims of Madoff themselves. And they may very well recover a significant amount, as others, closer to Madoff, have put billions into a fund for that purpose.
Heyman reports that Wilpon and Katz may be out a mere $37 million net by the time this is all done. And that even then it will be payable over four years. Which is the price of a good starting second baseman.
Theoretically. I mean, it’s not like the Mets have one of those.
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 54
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 5
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 16
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 8
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 20
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)