Ubaldo Jimenez’s velocity is down

Mar 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT

Ubaldo Jimenez

VelocityGames: they’re not just for Michael Pineda and Roy Halladay anymore!  Would you believe, Ubaldo Jimenez?  From the Akron Beacon-Journal:

A scout employed by an opposing team who watched Ubaldo Jimenez struggle against the Reds on Saturday almost couldn’t believe his radar gun.  “His fastball was 89-91 [mph],” the scout said. “He might have touched 92 once or twice, but his slider was flat. He also looked like his mind was somewhere else. I haven’t seen him like that in two years.”

He was up in the mid-90s two years ago. Last year he was down in the low 90s.  Yes, IIOSTSLNMABDAVYOK,* but if he can’t even sustain that, Jiminez is gonna get hammered.

*It is only spring training so let’s not make a big deal about velocity yet, ok?

1. rastaraider - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ha

2. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Wow. I was even pushing for the Yankees to trade for him and was mad they didn’t.

• sdelmonte - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Nah, what would they do with another starter?

3. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not now. No way. Last year, BEFORE his poor showing in Cleveland.

4. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I really do not understand what happened to him last year. K/9 didn’t drop significantly, K/BB ratio stayed about the same, total K dropped but not significantly, but all of a sudden he’s allowing way more balls in play and giving up about twice as many HR/9?

I didn’t catch any of his games last year, if someone who did could fill me in I’d love to know (drafts coming up soon!)

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh, and on a lighter note:
      Jimenez won’t be the only one getting hammered this year. -Mets fans

5. drewsylvania - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Man, and I thought PHT trolled.

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

???

6. areyesrn - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM

mid 90’s? I thought he was still in the upper 90’s in 2009 & 2010…

• pisano - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Roids, or lack of them?

7. foreverchipper10 - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I didn’t need the explanation of your massive abbreviation. I think I have problems.

A's, Tigers big winners at trade deadline