Ubaldo Jimenez’s velocity is down

Mar 19, 2012, 1:00 PM EST

Ubaldo Jimenez

VelocityGames: they’re not just for Michael Pineda and Roy Halladay anymore!  Would you believe, Ubaldo Jimenez?  From the Akron Beacon-Journal:

A scout employed by an opposing team who watched Ubaldo Jimenez struggle against the Reds on Saturday almost couldn’t believe his radar gun.  “His fastball was 89-91 [mph],” the scout said. “He might have touched 92 once or twice, but his slider was flat. He also looked like his mind was somewhere else. I haven’t seen him like that in two years.”

He was up in the mid-90s two years ago. Last year he was down in the low 90s.  Yes, IIOSTSLNMABDAVYOK,* but if he can’t even sustain that, Jiminez is gonna get hammered.

*It is only spring training so let’s not make a big deal about velocity yet, ok?

1. rastaraider - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:03 PM

Ha

2. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Wow. I was even pushing for the Yankees to trade for him and was mad they didn’t.

• sdelmonte - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Nah, what would they do with another starter?

3. randygnyc - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Not now. No way. Last year, BEFORE his poor showing in Cleveland.

4. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:42 PM

I really do not understand what happened to him last year. K/9 didn’t drop significantly, K/BB ratio stayed about the same, total K dropped but not significantly, but all of a sudden he’s allowing way more balls in play and giving up about twice as many HR/9?

I didn’t catch any of his games last year, if someone who did could fill me in I’d love to know (drafts coming up soon!)

• Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Oh, and on a lighter note:
      Jimenez won’t be the only one getting hammered this year. -Mets fans

5. drewsylvania - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Man, and I thought PHT trolled.

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 1:55 PM

???

6. areyesrn - Mar 19, 2012 at 2:59 PM

mid 90’s? I thought he was still in the upper 90’s in 2009 & 2010…

• pisano - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Roids, or lack of them?

7. foreverchipper10 - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:38 PM

I didn’t need the explanation of your massive abbreviation. I think I have problems.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4666)
  2. M. Kemp (3714)
  3. M. Cabrera (2916)
  4. J. Kang (2717)
  5. M. Morse (2603)
  1. J. Upton (2595)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2259)
  3. A. Rios (2258)