Yoenis Cespedes reaches “demigod” status, will be A’s starting center fielder over Coco Crisp

Mar 19, 2012, 2:48 PM EDT

Yoenis Cespedes

As soon as the A’s signed Yoenis Cespedes for $36 million and started talking about him as an option in center field Coco Crisp made it clear that he wouldn’t be giving up the position without a fight, saying: “Unless he’s a demigod come down from the heavens, no one is going to outshine me in center field.”

I guess that means Cespedes is officially a demigod, because the A’s announced that he’ll be the starting center fielder for their season-opening games in Japan and Crisp will shift to left field.

Crisp has plenty of corner outfield experience, so that won’t be an issue, but he’s generally rated very well defensively in center field and re-signed with the A’s in part because he believed they’d continue to start him there. Well, that and the $18 million.

Many of the initial scouting reports on Cespedes suggested he’d be better in right field, but the A’s will use Josh Reddick there while trusting what little they’ve seen of Cespedes’s range in person.

1. illegalblues - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:00 PM

every single picture of this kid makes him look like the world’s biggest douchebag

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:44 PM

What the hell is your problem? The uniform? The hat? Sunglasses on the hat?

Every single baseball player looks like him.

• yankeesgameday - Mar 19, 2012 at 4:20 PM

Some primitive tribes used to believe the camera captures your soul, so I don’t think it matters what cespedes wears in a picture, the douche bag in his soul will shine right on through.

• illegalblues - Mar 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM

it’s the expression. something about him just rubs me the wrong way. i’m sure he’s a pretty decent dude, but he looks like he’s striking a jersey shore pose all the time.

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 6:42 PM

OK, so it’s not something about him that makes him look like “the world’s biggest douchebag”, just your perception of the pictures taken of him. Candid, unposed pictures like the one above, where it looks like he could be telling a fan to toss him a ball to autograph. Glad that’s cleared up…

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM

If you would have read my comment Brian you would have seen that I specifically stated I have NOTHING to base my perception on (OTHER THAN A HANDFUL OF SNAPSHOTS).
        You have helped a great deal though. The definition(s) of primma donna and doucebag are shockingly similar. You could almost use them interchangeably.
        Additionally, the definition of primma donna almost goes hand-in-hand with today’s perception of numerous professional athletes.

• scatterbrian - Mar 20, 2012 at 4:15 PM

If you want to celebrate your baseless opinions of someone, more power to you. Personally, I don’t see the point of saying “I don’t like him. I don’t know why, I just don’t.”

• illegalblues - Mar 22, 2012 at 6:09 PM

i think you’re taking a comment about how he looks in pictures a little too seriously, dude. u mad?

• stlouis1baseball - Mar 20, 2012 at 2:25 PM

I hear what you are saying Blues. Every shot I have seen of him portrays him (IN MY OPINION) as a prima donna. I have nothing to base that on whatsoever. Just a handful of snapshots.
      But the problem is…if you state your opinion on HBT (and that opinion doesn’t jive with the warm and fuzzy crowd) you will most certainly be taken to task. I guess what I am saying is…as long as your opinion coincides with the 20 something crowd on HBT…you will be good.
      Just make sure you do NOT say ANYTHING negative about Barry. Feel free to bash ANY President or former President on the other side of the aisle. Just do NOT say anything negative about the warm and fuzzy party (and more specifically)…Barry.
      I am surprised they didn’t label you racist for sating you think he looks like a douchebag.

• scatterbrian - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:31 PM

You need to look up the definition of “prima donna”.

Do you see him as a “temperamental person”. Someone who “takes adulation and privileged treatment as a right and reacts with petulance to criticism or inconvenience”? Provide examples. Pictures don’t count.

2. Baseball Beer Burritos In That Order - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:03 PM

If there’s now a demigod in MLB, the countdown begins for Alex Rodriguez to finally transform and become the first centaur to play baseball.

3. braddavery - Mar 19, 2012 at 3:58 PM

In Crisp’s defense (pun intended), he DID say that he would have to “outshine” him in center. Simply being given the position doesn’t mean he’s a better centerfielder than Crisp.

4. paperlions - Mar 19, 2012 at 5:26 PM

It must have been getting picked off of 1B after grounding into a force out yesterday that won Cespedes the starting job (it isn’t even clear he belongs on an MLB or even AAA roster)….any time you find a guy that can lead the team in TOOTBLAN, you gotta make room for him.

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Yep, one half inning of a Spring Training game led to this decision…

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

Well, it sure as hell couldn’t have been all of spring training because he hasn’t shown anything when he’s played. If he was sent to AA it would be the highest level of competition he has ever faced.

• cur68 - Mar 19, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Kudos on first reported TOOTBLAN of the spring.

• scatterbrian - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:26 PM

Oakland has been scouting Cespedes for years. I’m pretty certain there’s more to this decision than a handful of Spring Training ABs.

• paperlions - Mar 19, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Do explain how and why the A’s were scouting a Cuban player for years when there was no way to know if he’d every flee Cuba and when he wasn’t even a Cuban standout (and not even the best player in the league) until recently, and when travel to Cuba is so problematic for US citizens and likely anyone suspected of being a scout for a US team.

• 5thbase - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:51 AM

If I’ve known about him for at least 18 months and I’ve seen him play, pretty sure a big league club could be even more familiar with him.

And by the way, you really think AA is a higher level of competition than WBC?

• scatterbrian - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:45 PM

@paper

“First off, he’s got a lot of syllables, so I might just call him YC for now! But he’s a tremendous athlete. Personally, I saw YC play at the Pan-American Games in 2010 in Puerto Rico. And just the speed, power, defense quotient was scintillating just watching that over five or six games down there in Puerto Rico.” — Billy Owens, Director of Player Personnel

Also read an interview with Beane stating they had been watching him prior to that, but I can’t find it.

Point is, they aren’t basing this decision solely on Spring Training, and certainly not on one half inning in March.

5. Rob Rubin - Mar 23, 2012 at 3:36 PM

I just drafted him on my fantasy team, so he can be the biggest douchebag in the world, but as long as he hits and runs, he can douche all he wants.

6. demigoddouche - Dec 22, 2012 at 7:01 AM