Mar 20, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Bad news for the Braves: Arodys Vizcaino, who looked to be part of the big league pen this year and, in the future, profiled as a starter, underwent Tommy John surgery today. As you know, that ends his 2012 and, depending on how the rehab goes, may very well kill a bit of his 2013.
Vizcaino had been shut down with elbow trouble and met with James Andrews yesterday. It was apparently a pretty quick visit without a lot of nuance to it. But hey, at least Tommy John can make a boat payment with his royalties. I mean, that’s how it works, right? Dr. Andrews wouldn’t screw Tommy John like that, would he?
Vizcaino is only 21 and only has 17 major league innings under his belt. In four minor league seasons, however, he is 19-15 with a 2.91 ERA in 268 innings with a K-rate of 9.3 per nine while walking only 2.3 per nine.
Promising, but now it’s promise deferred.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 35
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 9
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 31
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 47
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)