Mar 20, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Bad news for the Braves: Arodys Vizcaino, who looked to be part of the big league pen this year and, in the future, profiled as a starter, underwent Tommy John surgery today. As you know, that ends his 2012 and, depending on how the rehab goes, may very well kill a bit of his 2013.
Vizcaino had been shut down with elbow trouble and met with James Andrews yesterday. It was apparently a pretty quick visit without a lot of nuance to it. But hey, at least Tommy John can make a boat payment with his royalties. I mean, that’s how it works, right? Dr. Andrews wouldn’t screw Tommy John like that, would he?
Vizcaino is only 21 and only has 17 major league innings under his belt. In four minor league seasons, however, he is 19-15 with a 2.91 ERA in 268 innings with a K-rate of 9.3 per nine while walking only 2.3 per nine.
Promising, but now it’s promise deferred.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 51
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)