Mar 20, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Bad news for the Braves: Arodys Vizcaino, who looked to be part of the big league pen this year and, in the future, profiled as a starter, underwent Tommy John surgery today. As you know, that ends his 2012 and, depending on how the rehab goes, may very well kill a bit of his 2013.
Vizcaino had been shut down with elbow trouble and met with James Andrews yesterday. It was apparently a pretty quick visit without a lot of nuance to it. But hey, at least Tommy John can make a boat payment with his royalties. I mean, that’s how it works, right? Dr. Andrews wouldn’t screw Tommy John like that, would he?
Vizcaino is only 21 and only has 17 major league innings under his belt. In four minor league seasons, however, he is 19-15 with a 2.91 ERA in 268 innings with a K-rate of 9.3 per nine while walking only 2.3 per nine.
Promising, but now it’s promise deferred.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)