Mar 20, 2012, 2:14 PM EDT
Franklin Gutierrez has recovered enough from a torn pectoral muscle that he’s resumed swinging a bat, but the Mariners center fielder has not been cleared to throw yet and Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times reports that he won’t accompany the team to Japan later this week.
Gutierrez’s best-case scenario is probably a late-April debut, so not going to Japan doesn’t mean a whole lot in terms of his timetable, but he was unsure when asked when he’ll resume throwing:
I can’t throw. Not now. I don’t know when it’s going to happen. Just doing the exercises. I don’t know when I’m going to be playing. It just depends on how fast I recover.
Suddenly late April seems pretty optimistic.
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (124)
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (116)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (82)
- LIVE: Bruins-Rangers, Game 5
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona