Mar 20, 2012, 11:49 AM EST
Kendrys Morales is finally making significant progress in his now two-year-long recovery from a broken ankle.
Morales played in a minor-league game yesterday for the third time in four days, afterward telling Marcia Smith of the Orange County Register that his twice-repaired ankle “is a little sore, but I’m fine and will hit again tomorrow.” Morales added that “I’m excited to hit again. I’m feeling more comfortable.”
Counting on Morales returning to his pre-injury production is obviously asking a lot, but having the switch-hitter in the middle of the lineup again could be huge for the Angels. In the 203 games preceding the injury Morales hit .302 with 45 homers, 48 doubles, and a .901 OPS, and even after missing nearly two whole seasons he’s still just 28 years old.
Manager Mike Scioscia described Morales as having made “leaps and bounds” within the past 10 days, so there may finally be a light at the end of the tunnel.
UPDATE: Not so fast, apparently. Morales is out of the lineup today because of shin soreness.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 65
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 31
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 21
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)