Mar 20, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
There’s no official word yet from the Tigers regarding Miguel Cabrera‘s health status, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with “a small fracture under his right eye” and is expected to miss “only a couple weeks.”
Cabrera also needed eight stitches after being hit near the eye by a Hunter Pence one-hopper yesterday, leaving the field with blood dripping down his face.
All things considered Cabrera may have actually gotten lucky to avoid a far more serious injury, as the ball hitting his sunglasses seemingly limited the damage.
Being out of action for two weeks won’t leave much time for Cabrera to get ready for Opening Day and may reduce the number of reps he gets at third base, but presumably he’ll be able to participate in at least some workouts during that time. Whether or not he has any business playing third base on a regular basis is another issue, of course.
UPDATE: Officially he’s been diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture in the orbital bone and will be evaluated further in one week after the swelling subsides, according to general manager Dave Dombrowski.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)