Mar 20, 2012, 11:10 AM EDT
There’s no official word yet from the Tigers regarding Miguel Cabrera‘s health status, but Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that he’s been diagnosed with “a small fracture under his right eye” and is expected to miss “only a couple weeks.”
Cabrera also needed eight stitches after being hit near the eye by a Hunter Pence one-hopper yesterday, leaving the field with blood dripping down his face.
All things considered Cabrera may have actually gotten lucky to avoid a far more serious injury, as the ball hitting his sunglasses seemingly limited the damage.
Being out of action for two weeks won’t leave much time for Cabrera to get ready for Opening Day and may reduce the number of reps he gets at third base, but presumably he’ll be able to participate in at least some workouts during that time. Whether or not he has any business playing third base on a regular basis is another issue, of course.
UPDATE: Officially he’s been diagnosed with a non-displaced fracture in the orbital bone and will be evaluated further in one week after the swelling subsides, according to general manager Dave Dombrowski.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 36
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 44
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 19
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)