Mike Trout lost 12 pounds due to flu, had two hits yesterday

Mar 20, 2012, 10:15 AM EDT

Mike Trout Getty Images

Described last week as being “weak and feverish with no appetite” because of the flu, Mike Trout saw just his second game action of spring training yesterday in a minor-league game and went 2-for-3 with a double, a triple, and a walk.

Marcia Smith of the Orange County Register reports that Trout lost 12 pounds while he was sick, dropping from 220 to 208.

Trout, who has also missed time with leg and shoulder soreness early in camp, told Smith that “it felt good to stretch my legs out, run the bases, and have some fun.”

It’s good to see Trout healthy again, but manager Mike Scioscia has already made it pretty clear that, healthy or not, the 20-year-old stud prospect has little chance of cracking the Opening Day roster and will likely begin the season at Triple-A.

1. shaggylocks - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:28 AM

“Have some fun?!?” What does he think this is, a feel-good baseball movie where the unconventional manager tells his ragtag group of players with (seemingly) no chance of making the playoffs to “remember to have some fun out there?” No! This is professional baseball! He’s supposed to be like the guys in that movie BEFORE the unconventional manager comes along: serious-minded, grumpy, no-fun-at-all. I mean, sheesh, what do they even MAKE these movies for?

2. anotheryx - Mar 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM

How exactly does someone lose 12 pounds to flu?

I occasionally get flu also, never once did I even lose 2 pounds. Do they just not eat anything for a week anytime they get the flu or something?

• sportsdrenched.com - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:10 PM

You didn’t really have the flu if you’re so cavalier about it. You REMEMBER the flu.

• anotheryx - Mar 20, 2012 at 3:24 PM

I caught the swine flu thing a couple years back, I was really sick for a week, but did NOT lose any weight.

3. proudlycanadian - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM

I still think that Carp is a better fantasy play than Trout this season.

• Alex K - Mar 20, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I still think that Carp is a better fantasy catch than Trout this season.

FTFY