Mar 20, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
No word on the exact terms, but the proposed deal would cover his final pre-arbitration season, all three of his arbitration seasons and at least his first year of free agency. The two sides tabled negotiations earlier this winter, but were discussing a five-year deal with a club option for 2017.
Holland went 16-5 with a 3.95 ERA and 162/67 K/BB ratio over 198 innings last season for the back-to-back AL champion Rangers. The 25-year-old southpaw tied for the American League lead with four shutouts and was outstanding during the second half of the season, posting a 3.06 ERA over his final 14 starts. He also delivered on the big stage during the World Series against the Cardinals, striking out seven over 8 1/3 shutout innings in a Game 4 victory.
- HardballTalk’s Top 150 Free Agents for 2015 0
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 27
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (281)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)