Mar 20, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
No word on the exact terms, but the proposed deal would cover his final pre-arbitration season, all three of his arbitration seasons and at least his first year of free agency. The two sides tabled negotiations earlier this winter, but were discussing a five-year deal with a club option for 2017.
Holland went 16-5 with a 3.95 ERA and 162/67 K/BB ratio over 198 innings last season for the back-to-back AL champion Rangers. The 25-year-old southpaw tied for the American League lead with four shutouts and was outstanding during the second half of the season, posting a 3.06 ERA over his final 14 starts. He also delivered on the big stage during the World Series against the Cardinals, striking out seven over 8 1/3 shutout innings in a Game 4 victory.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 46
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 78
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 51
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 95
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (95)