Mar 20, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT
No word on the exact terms, but the proposed deal would cover his final pre-arbitration season, all three of his arbitration seasons and at least his first year of free agency. The two sides tabled negotiations earlier this winter, but were discussing a five-year deal with a club option for 2017.
Holland went 16-5 with a 3.95 ERA and 162/67 K/BB ratio over 198 innings last season for the back-to-back AL champion Rangers. The 25-year-old southpaw tied for the American League lead with four shutouts and was outstanding during the second half of the season, posting a 3.06 ERA over his final 14 starts. He also delivered on the big stage during the World Series against the Cardinals, striking out seven over 8 1/3 shutout innings in a Game 4 victory.
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 0
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 22
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 68
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)