Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EST
Reid Brignac will be shut down for at least a few days with what manager Joe Maddon called “a plantar fasciitis kind of a thing” and a “nasty little” foot injury.
Maddon indicated to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that the injury could keep Brignac from beginning the season on the active roster, in which case Sean Rodriguez would be the Opening Day shortstop.
And based on how Maddon described the injury, it sounds pretty bad:
You’ve just got to treat it, and eventually, I guess, it rips, and when it rips then you have to treat it at that particular moment, too. But for right now that’s what he’s got going on. It’s awkward, it’s one of the most awkward injuries I’ve ever heard about. There’s no definitive way to treat it, you’re going to be in pain, you can still run on it, it’s still going to hurt, you know that. And then you have to wait for the sheath to rip, for it to heal itself. So it’s just a weird position.
Plantar fasciitis has ruined athletes in every sport, so even if Brignac can make it back into the lineup for the season opener his foot problems could be an issue all season.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)