Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Reid Brignac will be shut down for at least a few days with what manager Joe Maddon called “a plantar fasciitis kind of a thing” and a “nasty little” foot injury.
Maddon indicated to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that the injury could keep Brignac from beginning the season on the active roster, in which case Sean Rodriguez would be the Opening Day shortstop.
And based on how Maddon described the injury, it sounds pretty bad:
You’ve just got to treat it, and eventually, I guess, it rips, and when it rips then you have to treat it at that particular moment, too. But for right now that’s what he’s got going on. It’s awkward, it’s one of the most awkward injuries I’ve ever heard about. There’s no definitive way to treat it, you’re going to be in pain, you can still run on it, it’s still going to hurt, you know that. And then you have to wait for the sheath to rip, for it to heal itself. So it’s just a weird position.
Plantar fasciitis has ruined athletes in every sport, so even if Brignac can make it back into the lineup for the season opener his foot problems could be an issue all season.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 16
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)