Mar 20, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
Reid Brignac will be shut down for at least a few days with what manager Joe Maddon called “a plantar fasciitis kind of a thing” and a “nasty little” foot injury.
Maddon indicated to Marc Topkin of the Tampa Bay Times that the injury could keep Brignac from beginning the season on the active roster, in which case Sean Rodriguez would be the Opening Day shortstop.
And based on how Maddon described the injury, it sounds pretty bad:
You’ve just got to treat it, and eventually, I guess, it rips, and when it rips then you have to treat it at that particular moment, too. But for right now that’s what he’s got going on. It’s awkward, it’s one of the most awkward injuries I’ve ever heard about. There’s no definitive way to treat it, you’re going to be in pain, you can still run on it, it’s still going to hurt, you know that. And then you have to wait for the sheath to rip, for it to heal itself. So it’s just a weird position.
Plantar fasciitis has ruined athletes in every sport, so even if Brignac can make it back into the lineup for the season opener his foot problems could be an issue all season.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)